HIPS & AE VS UAC?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Cutting_Edgetech, Sep 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

What is the difference in protection using UAC (User Account Control) on W7 64bit vs HIPS like Comodo or Online Armor? Is there any benefit in using UAC with one of the above HIPS? How does UAC function to prompt you when something is attempting to perform an action on your machine VS a modern HIPS? Do they function similar or do they behave totally different? Lastly, is their any benefit in running UAC with a good AE (anti-executable) like Faronics or say PG from Blueridge Networks once it is compatible with 64bit? What type of attacks is UAC able to block? If i only better understood the mechanics in which UAC works o_O

Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
  2. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

if you are runing anti-exe or hips programs dont realy need uac;) a hips programs alerts as the uac alerts and hips programs do more protection like start up registry protection and programs/files keyboard protection etc etc,the anti-exe is silent but one of the most secure around:thumb:

3. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

UAC and HIPS caters to different scopes of protection....

User Account Control (MSDN)

In simple terms: With UAC on, you are basically running as a user with standard rights system-wide and you only 'grant' admin rights when you approve the UAC prompt for a certain task/app. If you disable UAC, you are running as a user with admin rights. And in security perspectives, that isn't a good idea.

HIPS

With HIPS, it "monitors a single host for suspicious activity by analysing events occurring within that host."

Spot the difference now?

I'd suggest keeping UAC on even if you have HIPS installed or when running an AE. I'll leave it to the rest who are more knowledgeable to put in the right words to explain why this is recommended.

4. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

silence + security = keeper:thumb:

5. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

hips covers alot more when it comes to security to any thing withing the system,SRP and anti-exe are also goot have for peace of mind:) with a hips you will be cover for all types of attacks,including system attacks

6. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Absolutely true, and well said jmonge.

7. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

Use any good/compatible HIPS/AE, but with UAC enabled. Any executable want to make critical change, at least UAC will warn you. UAC complements good HIPS/AE softwares.

8. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

UAC encompasses more than just "the prompt."

I used HIPS when I ran as admin on XP. On Windows 7 however, I use a limited user account for everyday activities, UAC on max, AppLocker, and no HIPS.

9. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

I will keep running in Admin mode in XP, because I prefer to do it that way...until make the change to Windows 7 or next release. I will learn about UAC, etc... then!...and not before.

So, for the present I still use HIPS. :)

10. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

I too. No UAC, no SRP: multi layer defense, not only - but " especially " - HIPS based.

11. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i have enough with hips,more than enough;)

12. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

hmmmm hopefully everything allright J!!!!! saw a sudden change of signatureo_O

13. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Ok, Safeguy, I see. UAC allows one to run as an under privilege user with Admin rights on the fly. I'm going to do some more research on the fine mechanics of how this is accomplished. Thanks Safeguy!

14. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Cutting,

recommended reading, check it out:

-http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd835561%28WS.10%29.aspx

15. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

whta i meant was the to have hips is more than enough security,powerfull;) :thumb:
    i am testing this litle chihuahua:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.