HIJACKTHIS LOGS POSTING

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by DONALDRAYVESSELLS, Nov 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DONALDRAYVESSELLS

DONALDRAYVESSELLS Registered Member

WWW.HIJACKTHIS.DE IS THE OFFICIAL HIJACKTHIS SITE.RUN YOUR SCAN COPY IT TO YOUR CLIP BOARD GO TO THE HIJACKTHIS SITE PASTE YOUR LOG IN THE DESIGNATED DIALOG BOX LO AND BEHOLD YOU HAVE A DIAGNOSIS OF YOUR LOG IN A SECOND OR TWO ALONG WITH RECOMMENDATIONS AS TO WHAT TO DO TO CORRECT YOUR PARTICULAR MALADY.YOU CAN ALSO DOWNLOAD A TUTORIAL WHICH EXPLAINS THE DIFFERENT HIJACKTHIS LISTINGS.JUST ABOUT ANYONE CAN DO THIS IF THEY TAKE THE TIME TO READ AND PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT THEY ARE DOING.THIS SITE<HIJACKTHIS.DE> SHOULD TAKE THE LOAD OFF OF THIS AND ALL OF THE OTHER SITES WHERE THE HIJACKTHIS LOGS ARE POSTED.
    THIS SITE ALSO MULTILINGUAL.

2. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

Please don't post a message like this with all words in caps.

3. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

4. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

I've got a headache :oops:

5. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Use any online HijackThis analysers lately?

Many people who did, are showing these symptoms. :D

Regards,

Pieter

6. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Just a note of caution.....please remember this is an 'automated' scanner and is only going to be as accurate as it's database is updated. With so many new malware files showing up now, this type of scan could not only miss something, it could also give false/positive results. So care should be taken if using it, and any entries marked as 'nasty' or 'suspicious' should be investigated thoroughly since fixing the wrong entries could result in damage to the computer or internet connection.

Many of the newest malware and hijackers that are showing up now, like CWS, use hidden files that will not even show up in a HijackThis log. Those familiar with this type of malware will know what to look for and also what specialized tools and steps to take to remove them. Therefore, it is still strongly recommended by Experts that people who are not familiar with using the HijackThis tool, do not fix anything with it by their self, but instead post their log at one of the sites that do hijackthis log analysis, and have it reviewed by an experienced HijackThis log Analyst, who will help them clean their system safely.

Regards,

snap

7. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Well put, snap. :D It's almost a tossup which is more dangerous in unskilled/inexperienced hands, HJT or RegEdit.

8. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Let me add to snapdragin's caution.

If I process my own completely pristine system through this analyzer, a number of caution and alarm flags are raised. None of them are actual problems. There are many processes unknown to this analyzer including, apparently, some KAV 5.0 WS processes! It takes a very aggressive stance on what a HOSTS file should look like and isn't aware of at least one on-line AV scanner that I have used (MKS).

Most of these "false" flags are reasonably easy to decipher if you're experienced. Does the flagged entry include a path for a known application? Is so, in many cases that entry is fine. On the other hand, if it pointing to a temporary directory and/or the filename appears to me comprised of random characters, there may be a problem.

However, while I say it is relatively easy, I really mean easy to me. I know what should be showing up in these logs on my system. Unless you've grown accustomed to looking at this type of information, a lot of it will be completely new to you and you'll have little previous experience to serve as a guide. If you have the slightest level of discomfort, or would get a tad nervous if a complete reinstall of your OS and applications were needed (note - not generally required, but if you're working alone and are unsure how to proceed, it might be the only way for you to get the system working again), that's a reasonable signal that you should rely on the advice of others to guide the selection of entries to delete.

Blue

9. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

I'd say RegEdit. At least the potential damage from HJT is limited in scope. There's lots of room to play with RegEdit!

Blue

10. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

Hey..when they use that self help "OFFICIAL HIJACK SITE" that is when they learn how to finally get their first experience to use reformat/reinstall or dust off those Restoration CD's that are collecting dust in the bottom drawer.

:D

Can't be all that bad when you are leaning and having fun. ;)

And some of them even learn how to make a boot floppy . :eek:

11. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

What, if you don't mind me asking, is "official" about that site?

Are you implying that this site was approved by the author of HijackThis?

I think I know Merijn well enough, to know that he would utter the same warnings snapdragin and BlueZanetti have, about acting on the results of such a scan.

If it was this easy, would all these sites be swarming with logs?
    It takes time to learn and read these logs and your own computer is the best place to get started. But be prepared to reinstall if it backfires.

Oh, and a floppy is a antique device that was used before there were rewritable CD's and memory sticks. ;)

Regards,

Pieter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.