hijack this "Not Responding"

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by spookn, Dec 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spookn

spookn Registered Member

every time I try to run hijack this (2), it stalls half way. And in Task Manager it gives the Not Responding error.

I've down loade again with no luck

xp sp2

any ideas?
    Thanks
    B

2. Kosak

Kosak Registered Member

Hi!

There is probably some malware. Try to do log in safe mode or use another utility.

:thumb:

3. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Any other symptoms? (ie: why were you running HJT to start with?) Any other "this program has stopped responding" errors?
    Possibly re-naming the exe for HijackThis to "HijackThis 1991.exe" may help it complete, I have read that some malware is able to hide from HijackThis. Easy done, worth a try.

4. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Rename hijackthis file to something completely different, then it should run.

5. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Does the "(2)" by chance mean 2 instances of HJT showing in Task Manager :doubt:

Are you by chance using any Internet Explorer related programs that add Restricted Sites to IE, IE-Spyad(30K entries) for instance ?

If you wait long enough, couple minutes or so, do the HJT Task manager entries decrease to 1 entry showing Running and HJT then displays the results ?

Bubba

HJT.GIF

6. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

Looking at the program's icon in your Task Manager, it would appear you're running an obsolete version of HijackThis.

I suggest you end task on any instances of the application that are still running, and uninstall/remove your present version.
    Next, download the latest (Trend Micro) version, and try that one. I suggest you pick the "Installer" version.

http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/tools/security_tools/hijackthis/download

Last edited: Dec 31, 2007
  7. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Yeah, this workstation did not have the latest version but it does now, Thanks Tony ;)

The same holds true as mentioned and has always been this way that after about a minute, HJT finishes it's job and then settles down to show Running in Task Manager.

However, all of this may be mute if spookn is not running IE-Spyads or similar large database(approx 29K entries).

Regards,
    Bubba

HJT2.GIF

8. spookn

spookn Registered Member

First off, thanks very much for the response. Where to start.
    I just uninstalled hijackthis and reintalled the "Installer" version.
    And it worked and saved a log.
    Maybe the 2.0.2 ver (which was what I ment by (2) my bad thinking), does not show the Running processes in its window?
    I am running IE-Spyads. and this is now correct: "If you wait long enough, couple minutes or so, do the HJT Task manager entries decrease to 1 entry showing Running and HJT then displays the results ?"
    Yes that happens now.
    Does the database interfear with HJT?
    Again, Thanks

9. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

The only interference is the struggle? it encounters as it processes\deals with the approx. 29,500 Restricted Site entries of IE-Spyad. The quality of HJT is still maintained.

Glad that sorted you out,
    Bubba

10. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

Ah, well done, both of you! :)

I don't run IESpyads myself, and I was unaware of the existence of this problem!

Happy New Year to everyone! :D

11. spookn

spookn Registered Member

Buba,
    Thank you very much. It is a real pleasure to come somewhere and get such great advice.
    It is appreciated.
    Spookn

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.