HIGHER Speed Dialup Connection

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by dean, Oct 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dean

dean Guest

Just a short note to inform everybody how to increase your slow Dialup connection.
    I bought an ASUS A7N266-VM MB and my internet transfer speed went up from 4-5 K per sec to 20k per sec.
    The install of drivers installed the integrated ethernet adapter on my dialup,800 MHZ.
    Anyone know how!!!
    What a difference!!!!!!!!!

2. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

:doubt: i been wanting to increase my dial up speed but i duno how is it really posiable all software i tryed was a lie

what do you need and how do you do it

3. dean

dean Guest

Ya your right Mr. Blaze, none of them do work, but all I can figure with this motherboard, is that the high speed ethernet controller has taken over control of the windows family logon client interfacing itself between my browser and the modem functioning at 800MHZ which is about 23 times faster than just the 33 MHZ PCI bus speed, therefore all contol functions times are dramatically decreased, allowing your modem to do what it is capable of.
    Im not trying to sell this board, but, by golly it really does speed up my connection to , Im on a new service now, just dialup, 20 KBS average.
    I dont even know if NVIDEA did this on purpose but when I first installed the drivers for this board it woudnt let me do it period, and am I glad.

4. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

More info, Please, Dean!!

5. FluxGFX

FluxGFX Registered Member

Normal Dial-Up on a Tel line is only capable of a maximum of 9.3455k/s now looking at DSL broadband over TEL line it's capable of a maximum of 8mbps wich is a maximum of digital link of 800k.

Considering Dial-Up modem are analog controlled the maximum output that you could gain would be 9.3455k/s

( I work with tel lines and DSL broadband ).... therefore this is intriguing...

6. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

I've recently seen commercials on TV for EarthLink's Accelerator, which is supposed to provide dialup users with up to 5x the performance on normal dialup. Here's their FAQ page:

http://www.earthlink.net/accelerator/faq/

It's not hard to imagine that some acceleration is possible given compression capabilities, and opening multiple parallel connections to webservers, but, I find it hard to believe that files that are already compressed (ZIP files, compressed EXE files, etc) would be made any faster. :doubt: But, who knows. Years ago, I had never imagined that home users would be able to get low cost digital circuits that provide the speeds that today's ADSL gives you. (It's nice to be pleasantly surprised by technological advances!)

7. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

I read their online FAQ for that service, and really, all it's doing as far as increasing browser speed is setting up a cached web page area. You can get the same effect (I used it on dialup as well) by installing something like AR's RAM Disk, and mapping your Temporary Internet Files folder to that drive.

I have used this myself, and it does increase browsing speed, because the page is stored locally. An additional benefit is the ability to "flush" the cache at shut down, which helps manage the crud a little more effectively.

FWIW. :D

8. sig

sig Registered Member

Re:HIGHER Speed Dial up Connection

This speed up only applies to web browsing, due to caching, compression, etc. It does not affect the speed of downloading files---that's still limited to regular dial up speed.

9. Pretender

Pretender Registered Member

A "duh?" question here.......anyone know if Rambus memory helps is speeding up web browsing? I have 128MB of Rambus RDRAM in my Gateway and am thinking about adding some more memory. It costs like $230 (tax not included) as I have to get two 256MB modules (Rambus has to be changed in pairs). And they say memory isn't expensive :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.