High processor usage after boot-up

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by roobarb, Jan 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roobarb

roobarb Registered Member

Nod32 2.7 (trial version)
    ZoneAlarm 6.5.737.000
    Windows Defender 1.1.1593.0
    Sandboxie 2.64

Hi,

Every time I start Windows Nod32 hogs the processor (>90%) for the first few minutes, making it almost impossible to run anything else until it's finished whatever it's doing. After that everything goes back to normal, but it's an annoying delay that I haven't seen in other virus scanners. Is it normal for Nod32 to behave like this?

My Nod32 settings are:

AMON: enabled
    DMON: enabled
    EMON: disabled
    IMON: enabled (IMON email checking: disabled)
    ThreatSense.Net early warning system: enabled

Thanks,
    Simon

2. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

it canbe because of zonealarm...maybe nod has compatibilty problems with zonealarm...but i have to admit it does take nod some time to show-up on my pc as well...i mean taskbar icon..

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

It can be due to a bug in Windows update if it's svchost.exe that consumes much cpu time.

4. kaigan

kaigan Registered Member

I had this problem with svchost.exe taking most of the CPU time and at times my NOD icon in the taskbar would become a black square. All this has gone away since I removed Windows defender from my system.

Pete

5. roobarb

Thanks for the tip about Windows Defender. Task Manager reported that svchost.exe was grabbing the CPU. I'll remove Windows Defender and see if that fixes the problem.

6. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Generally Windows Defender cooperates fine with NOD32 . But you can try to remove it , it is simply unnecessary when you have NOD .

As Marcos pointed you can try to disable Automatic Updates from Control Panel -> Automatic updates and restart .

It could also be an issue with ZoneAlarm but do the above and post again with the results :)

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

well depends if it was a windows defender beta or the offical relase version.
    lodore

8. huangzhengliang

huangzhengliang Registered Member

I've got ZoneAlarm and NOD32. Also got NetLimiter to monitor network usage but that shouldn't affect svchost.exe?
    Anyway, I've had svchost.exe hog CPU too and not sure of the reason. I don't have Windows Defender. This was only once though.

9. duijv023

duijv023 Registered Member

Hi guys!

I'm having the same after the first time i boot my PC on a day.
    I've checked the tasks, and i remebered i blamed MS defender for it.
    When i see it again, i will try to start taskmanager to see which process is responible for this.....

FYI: i use NOD32 v2.7 and MS Defender. (as i'm using my notebook now, i cannot give the used version)

But i must say, i use MS defender just to see its annoying side, rather than for the protection.
    I think, it does not contibute very much to protect my PC.

Greetings from Holland

10. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Well , folks , correct me if I am wrong but I think it is normal some times (not always) . Normal because Windows is designed so . If you have read the Automatic Updates you'll see that it warns you if you have Auto Updates ON , then the Operating systems gives them the highest priority .

So networking in Windows is with high priority , auto updates are with high priority and it's all about Windows . Your updates are probably enabled and then this starts are start-up , it will first check for updates for Windows and that's why it has high cpu . Let's not also forget how exactly Windows Defender updates (via Windows Updates) .

It's simple :)

During the BETA2 I have twice installed Windows Defender for day or two on my compurter just to see how it is . I don't like it (but that's another topic) . Anyway , they worked altogether with no problems . Moreover , I have clients (with 50+ NOD32 enterprise editition) where their admin is very big Microsoft fan and he insisted we leave Windows Defender . They have been running NOD32 and Windows Defender on all their machines very well with no complaints . I believe it is not Defender :thumb:

11. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Have you read this article from MS? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/916089

FIX: When you run Windows Update to scan for updates that use Windows Installer, including Office updates, CPU utilization may reach 100 percent for prolonged periods

12. SSK

SSK Registered Member

13. Zaskar

Zaskar Registered Member

This may be dumb on my part, but could it have anything to do with your net connection having to be re estiblished at boot up?

I have had a problem with an older comp at one time that on boot up had troubles connecting to the net. When opened in internet explorer it got the settings in a matter of seconds (I think because IE is tied to network connection repair tools in a way), but if any other application tried to before that it would hog up system resources for a few min till it either failed or eventually established a connection.

Like i said sorry if that is wrong or not it at all, just wanted to throw that out there :/

14. roobarb

Hi,

I can definitely rule out Windows Defender as being the problem, because uninstalling it had no effect on the svchost.exe grabbing all the processor.

Zaskar's suggestion looks promising. My net connection is ADSL, but I have to connect manually each time I log on. Perhaps Nod32 is trying to update its database while the net connection is offline?

15. duijv023

duijv023 Registered Member

hi guys,

I've done a little monitoring. The process responsible for the high CPU load is NOD32KRN.exe. One might say: "Ahh.. that makes sense, as NOD32 is updating at that time!" But no.. the update was downloaded and applied already at that time. the litttle balloon already told me, NOD32 was updated.

But it isn't a very big deal, so let's see if anyone recognizes this...

Greetings from a stormy Holland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.