High fragmentation of archives (.arx) and exports

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by MerleOne, Sep 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MerleOne

MerleOne Registered Member

Hi,

I just observed that a newly created archive of my C: disk is highly fragmented. The archive has been created on another disk, F:, and when analyzing F: fragmentation, I got the information that there was more than 30,000 fragments for Myarchive.arx.

I guess this comes from the way it is created.

Is it safe to defragment it (using contig from sysinternals, jkdefrag or any Windows defragmenter that rely on Microsoft defrag API) ? The .arx file is in that case around 10Gb big.

Thanks.

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Total waste of time. Actually I am not sure it will be any better when you are done. If I want to defrag the disk those files are on, I delete them first and then defrag. THen create new archives.

Pete

3. MerleOne

Actually the HDD on which I created the archive was almost empty !!!
    Free space was almost contiguous and there was no reason to have so many fragments. This high fragment number almost matches the number of files from the source snapshot.

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

If I remember right it was explained to me that it is a compressed file, and windows leaves some space. I think if you try and defrag it you will waste a lot of time, run your disk a lot, and even if successful, the next time you update the archive, will be back in the same position.

Pete

5. MerleOne

Most certainly ! For the moment, the best is as you said : no defragmentation of an .arx file !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.