High CPU with Firefox in Sandboxie

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by OldGrantonian, May 18, 2020.

1. OldGrantonian

OldGrantonian Registered Member

I have Firefox 76.0.1, Sandboxie 5.33.3, Win 10 Pro 1909

TEST SETUP

Open FF non-sandboxed. Open a new tab. Close any other tabs. Close FF. So, the next time FF opens, there's only one new tab.

Open FF non-sandboxed in one browser.
    Open FF sandboxed in a second browser.

Do a google search in one browser, for example "firefox sandboxie high cpu". Duplicate that tab twice, giving 3 identical tabs.

Do the same 3 tabs in the other browser.

So, the taskbar shows only 2 Firefox and Task Manager. There will be other background processes, such as Win Defender, MBAM, reminders.

TEST RESULTS

For the non-SB browser: CPU = 0.2%
    For the SB browser: CPU = 33%

Info: My feeling is that FF+SB can run for a long time on a CPU of 1%, as long as there's no google search results in a tab (I'm referring to the list of hits - with none of these hits being opened). As soon as a google search is done, the CPU can jump to 100% then settle down at ~33%

Thanks.

2. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

3. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Hi Grantonian. I haven't experienced any high CPU issue with Firefox doing anything. Perhaps you have a browser plugin of some kind that scans links in the Google search results. Thats the first thing that comes to mind. Are you using any plugin like that, perhaps one that comes with your antivirus. If you are, test disabling the plugin or plugins of this kind.

Bo

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.