high CPU usage ekrn.exe

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Jeroen1000, Mar 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeroen1000

Jeroen1000 Registered Member

Dear Marcos,

Every 10-20 minutes ekrn.exe shoots to about 50% CPU usage. When I'm typing this post is it happily doing this. I'm not doing anything else. My computer is sitting virtualy idle now. I do not know whether it relates to browsing the web, but if it does, it is browser independent. It happens both with IE and Firefox.

After 5-10 minutes CPU usage returns to normal.

I've tried:

- Reinstalling NOD32 (latest version)
    - Disabling Windows update (running Vista Home premium here with all the latest updates installed)
    - Switching browser

Could you please instruct me how to find out what is causing this. I can find my way around a computer so feel free to list a bunch of things I need to try.

2. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

3. SmackyTheFrog

SmackyTheFrog Registered Member

This is generally caused by a file receiving a lot of disk writes that forces it to be re-scanned multiple times (or a file that simply gets hung-up while scanning). Open the AV application and change the view mode from Standard to Advanced mode in the lower left. Then go to Protection status, Statistics... in the left navigation bar. Watch the "scanned object" field when the behavior happens and see if there is a file or directory that consistently comes up during that time. Then a scanning exception can be created to clean things up for you.

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

If possible, create a log using Process Monitor, upload it somewhere and pm me the link.

5. Jeroen1000

Thanks, I'll do this asap. I'll PM you when I have it.

6. Chris74656

Chris74656 Registered Member

Since I upgraded from 4.2.67.10 to 4.2.71.2 I've been experiencing similar behavior. Using Process Explorer I'm seeing high cpu usage for both ekrn.exe and FireFox and the browser is incredibly sluggish and frequently becomes unresponsive for ten to fifteen seconds at a time.

Both of my desktops are experiencing the same issue and they're not lightweight machines. Both are running Windows 7 Ultimate x64, my main system is a socket 1333 system using an i7 960 cpu with 12GB of ram and my secondary system is a socket 1156 system using an i7 875K cpu with 8GB of ram.

I read the thread referenced by "Thankful" and added the exclusion for the sessionstore.js file and I did see some improvement however I'm still seeing intermittent high cpu usage by ekrn.exe and frequently on more than one cpu.

- Norm

7. Jeroen1000

Norm, I think it is browser independant, however, the problem usually arises when I'm browsing. I've PM'd Marcos with the log and I'm waiting to hear back from him.

I can confirm that both IE and Firefox also seem to go high on CPU. But when the browsers are openened, and I'm letting them sit idle, it is ekrn.exe which goes to 50%. When ekrn goes high and the browsers do also, I'm using 100% CPU.

8. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Hello,
    if possible, please provide me with the sessionstore.js file you needed to exclude as well as a ProcMon log from the moment you experience high cpu utilization by ekrn.exe.

9. yongsua

yongsua Registered Member

Same as me but occasionally.

10. Jeroen1000

On my pc it was just a big HTLM file related to wireshark. If you send Marcos what he asked for, he might be able to pintpoint what the problem is. On my PC it is fixed now:).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.