High CPU after W10 Anniversary Update

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Robert Howard, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Robert Howard

Robert Howard Registered Member

After installing the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, the CPU runs about 50% busy on certain web pages for several minutes before "calming down". When I scroll that page a bit, the CPU again jumps to about 50% for several more minutes ... etc. etc.

When I go into SpywareBlaster and disable all protection, this problem does not occur.

I'm running IE11 with the SpywareBlaster version 5.5 (I was running 5.5 before the Windows Update but when I found the problem I downloaded and installed 5.5 on top of itself just to make sure the existing 5.5 wasn't corrupted).

I tried running IE11 without add-ons ... didn't resolve the problem. I tried turning off the IE11 "smooth scrolling" option ... didn't resolve the problem.

I don't have any other spyware software active on the system (my Spybot S&D is presently turned off).

It's like a switch. With SpywareBlaster's protection on, the problem occurs. With this protection off, the problem does not occur.

BTW, the problem is most noticeable on the site www.msn.com ... which is what we use as a home page for news, etc.

Not sure what's going on ...

Thanks...

bob

2. IvoShoen

IvoShoen Registered Member

I see this happen on one of my computers after the update. Any security product I tried other than Windows Defender caused cpu spikes. At times these spikes were so bad that the computer basically froze for several minutes. Another reason to hate Microsoft.

3. Robert Howard

Robert Howard Registered Member

Microsoft just released a Windows Update for KB3176934 which downloaded and installed on my computer ... this seems to have resolved the problem!

4. IvoShoen

IvoShoen Registered Member

Still not resolved on my system with Panda and/or any of the Zemana products.

5. rossnixon

rossnixon Registered Member

I don't know if it is just my system, but even prior to the Anniversary Update, backgroundTaskHost.exe kept hogging the CPU.
    So, using Process Lasso, I've severely restricted it. One core only, and several other restrictive options.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.