Hiding IP Address?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Chamlin, Jun 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chamlin

Chamlin Registered Member

I was on a site offering software to hide my IP address. Is this:
    1. Beneficial
    2. Necessary
    3. Commonly done

If yes, any suggested software?

Thanks,
    Chamlin

2. Fly

Fly Registered Member

That depends on your purpose.

It could work if you want to avoid an IP ban.
    Your identity (anonymity and privacy) is generally not protected by such software.
    I wonder if such software wouldn't catch confidential data, such as credit card details. That may depend on the software.

I suggest you check out the privacy, privacy software section of this forum, and read up on VPN and anonymity services and such.
    You can also visit the Xerobank website.

3. Chamlin

Chamlin Registered Member

Thanks. My purpose is unknown. Just read about it and had never given it thought and am looking for opinions.

Avoiding an IP ban wouldn't be an issue for me.

4. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

Realistically, truely hiding your IP address would defeat the purpose of networking

5. SteveTX

SteveTX Registered Member

Hiding your IP address is mostly desired by spammers. Organizations that run "ip hiding" services are typically evil and incestuous, stealing from their own customers and spying on them because they are run by hacker rings, and there is not much legitimate purpose for hiding your IP address except to defeat trivial censorship. People who are doing bad things on the internet want to hide their IP address, for the most part, because it (falsely) gives them the impression they are anonymous.

However, hiding your IP address is a symptom not a source of online identity protection, which is a legitimate reason your IP address would change.. If you use an identity protection service, it encrypts all your communication between you and the service, blocking your ISP from being able to spy on you and sell your behavioral data to marketing companies (ie Google). This also prevents eavesdroppers and "evil twins" who may pose as wifi hotspots to capture your passwords and data. When you get an encrypted connection through another network, they assign you a new IP address. Further, if the system is properly set up with very high security, multiplexing, crowding optimization, and internal firewalling, it may provide anonymity against domestic spying (USA Warrentless Wiretapping) and even global spying.

6. box750

box750 Registered Member

1. Yes if you care about privacy

2. No

3. No

Probaby any single hop VPN will do for your needs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.