Hiding Desktop Icons + Explorer.exe usage?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Birdman, May 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Birdman

Birdman Registered Member

The memory usage of my explorer.exe process is usually around 13,900 K. I recently found that if I HIDE all my desktop icons (right click > arrange icons by > untick "show desktop items")....the mem usage for explorer.exe jumps to about 26,300 K (almost doubling the usage size).

Is this normal?

2. Texcritter

Texcritter Registered Member

Hi
    Don't really know but mine doesn't change 46,700K

3. sonic6k

sonic6k Registered Member

Wow! Your explorer.exe processes sure take up much memory usage! In my XP partition the explorer.exe process uses only 4032k

4. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

I'm seeing the same behavior here; mem usage of explorer.exe goes up substantially when I hide desktop icons *and* I only have ONE icon on my desktop.....the recycle bin.

Interesting link with a link to Process Explorer (which provides a *ton* of information) here:

http://ask-leo.com/how_do_i_find_out_whos_using_all_my_memory.html

I found that just killing and restarting explorer.exe resulted in memory usage (working set) dropping from ~40,000K down to ~20,000K.

5. Birdman

Is there a way to reduce the explore.exe mem usage?

6. Birdman

Same here. All I have is the Recycle Bin icon and when I hide it, the mem usage for explorer.exe doubles in size. Weird.

7. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

I wonder what is happening behind the scenes? To hide the icon must store the image and instructions in memory, resulting in increased usage.

regards,

-rich

8. Texcritter

Texcritter Registered Member

Yes it does but I don't know why, but I have 141 icons on the desktop and hiding them doesn't make any difference.

My Vista system only uses 6,500K but it has only the bare neccessities installed.

9. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

I suspect it must be services that start automatically (or otherwise) and then run in the background. I noticed a marked decrease after rebooting but it was still around 20,000K (same as restarting explorer.exe itself).

I'm not too concerned about it, just curious mostly. I've read accounts of others who have reported upwards of 100,000K in task manager without suffering any ill effects. I presume it's not problematic provided you have enough RAM.

10. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

11. sonic6k

sonic6k Registered Member

I haven't used any tweaks to make explorer.exe use less memory and my desktop is about to explode with 50+ icons :D

12. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Some things are better left alone. If you hadn't checked you wouldn't have thought anything was up. If you have icons, why would you hide them? If you want to hide them, you don't need them and you can delete them and use no memory. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.