Hidden folders unhidden, should i be concerned?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by SuperHax, Nov 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SuperHax

SuperHax Registered Member

Hi,

I was trying earlier to find out something space/size related (C was taking up more space than the actual files on it), wont go into details.

In the process of doing so i have selected all the files that are in C: , right click / properties , Unchecked the Hidden box then clicked apply. it started un-hiding all the files took like 10 min but i don't really know if thats good, is it safe to have hidden folders unhidden ?

I am not talking about just seeing hidden folders like when they have that faded look, now they appear just as normal folders after i did that, should i be concerned about this ?

Are there any security risks or potentially unwanted problems that could arise due to this ?

Would appreciate your input !

Thank you.

2. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

Except that everything is visible to the user now, nothing else changes. The only problem I can see is other users being able to view everything. That's only an issue if you don't trust them. On my systems, I always make everything visible.

3. Reality

Reality Registered Member

Speaking as a XP SP3 user, if it was me and my computer is used by others in the household, like kids or those who don't know much, I wouldn't have system files showing.

4. noone_particular

If I had others in the house that I had to be concerned about, they would not have access to an administrative account.

5. tomazyk

tomazyk Guest

I don't see any security risk by those file being unhidden. Just make sure nobody deletes any of those files.
    I usually do the other way around. I hide some files on c:\ (autoexec.bat, config.sys, perflogs folder...).
    If you ever again wanted to check out what's eating up your space you can use this tool: http://windirstat.info/

6. Reality

Reality Registered Member

Yes noone, good point for those untrusted (for whatever reason). For me and my spouse, in the overall scheme of things it's much easier we both use the same account. It's not hard to show/hide system files.

7. SuperHax

SuperHax Registered Member

It's only me on the PC, no one else is using it :rolleyes:

8. noone_particular

As long as no one else has easy access to it, you can unhide everything. The files/folders are only hidden from the user, not from explorer or the rest of the system. It won't change anything in the way it operates.

9. HopelesslyFaithful

HopelesslyFaithful Registered Member

i just dont have hidden files shown because it shows all those desktop ini files or whatever and messes my desktop up even more :/ Though windows loves to magically move files all of the place for fun i guess when i switch screens -_-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.