Hibernate problems with Paragon - thread 2

Discussion in 'Other Paragon Disk Utilities' started by aludden, Feb 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aludden

aludden Registered Member

Hello!
    I have the same problem as the thread "Hibernate problems with Paragon" (now closed).
    I have a paid-for Hard Disk Manager 2010 Suite.
    Last week I connected an external USB drive but Windows 7 didn't see it, so I had Hard Disk Manager assign a drive letter to it and then Windows could see it.
    However, my system won't hybernate since. I tried recreating the hyberfil.sys but it didn't help.

My Toshiba laptop drive C has 4 partitions:
    1. 1.46 GB Healthy (Active, Recovery Partition)
    2. 254 GB NTFS Healthy(Boot,Page File,Crash Dump,Primary Partition)
    3. 250 GB NTFS Healthy (Primary Partition)
    4. 9.9 GB Healthy (Primary Partition)

I added #3 long ago with Hard Disk Manager 2010. The other ones were already there.

From the other poster, I guess that #2 needs to be made Active, but before I make my system non-bootable I wanted to ask and make sure :)

So,
    a. do I mark #2 as Active?
    b. Do I then need to mark #1 as not Active? (how?) I don't know how they were before... and I don't want to create a dual-boot situation like the other poster.
    c. is partition #4 used for the hybernation? (I have 8GB RAM)

I guess somehow Hard Disk Manager decided the first partition should be the Active one, and changed it.

Thanks in advance!
    Alex

2. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

Hard Disk Manager never changes Active flag by itself.
    I don't think that adding drive letter to accidentally not mounted drive caused hibernation issues.
    Your boot configuration appears to be correct. Do not change the activity flag.

Did you try to disable hibernation and manually delete hiberfil.sys file? Then hibernation should be enabled again from Command prompt or Control Panel.

3. aludden

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I did the powercfg as admin to turn off, reboot, and turn on again but it didn't help.
    My symptoms are exactly as the "Hibernate problems with Paragon" which is in the "Paragon Drive Backup Product Line" forum, except that I did not restore any files, I just assigned a drive letter.

As the other posters said:
    "When I try to go to Hibernate, I get a blank screen but the PC stays awake."
    and like another poster said:
    "the screen goes blank and goes back to normal at a touch of a mouse. Some disk activity is seen"

In the other post, the solution was to:
    "Found a solution: The C: partition was not marked as active. After marking it active in disk manager, hibernate works ok"
    And Paragon Matt said:
    "you are correct in that the system will not hibernate if the OS partition is not "active""

This is why I posted here to ask if marking my second partition as Active would help. Since I have that other "Restore" partition that is active, my situation is a little different, so I wanted to make sure I would not make my system unbootable by making the change.

My system does boot fine, and I do have backups, and this is mostly an annoyance, but I would like to get it back because I use Hybernation all the time - I hardly ever Shut Down my laptop.

Thanks!
    Alex

4. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

Ok. Let's try to make the second partition Active.

There is no need to restore everything if it will not help. Just create Recovery CD and then you will be able to make the first partition Active again w\o booting Windows.

Please lte me know if it works.

5. aludden

Hello Mech_An,

Well, that fixed it!

First, I tried to install W7 SP1, because I read somewhere that there are some hybernation fixes in there, but the install failed saying it couldn't find the system partition...

So, I was backed into a corner and went ahead and marked the second partition as Active (past the dire warnings that I might turn my system unbootable) and rebooted. Booted fine, but still no hybernate.
    Then I marked the first partition as not Active, and rebooted.

Voila! Hybernation working, and SP1 installed fine.

Did Hard Disk Manager cause it? I guess it could be a coincidence, but I did not install anything or did anything to the system other than using HDM to assign a drive letter. I don't know if this has any bearing, but the drive that I connected was an old FAT32 instead of NTFS, so maybe that is why it wasn't recognized.

Thank you very much for your help!
    Alex

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.