Hi! New member here, and I have this little guide..

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by malakai1911, Apr 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. malakai1911

malakai1911 Registered Member

New member here :), so hello! (Closest thing to a 'member introduction' section you have looks like the test forum :D)

I started this little security guide for p2p'ers (pirates! arr!) back in 2004 for Zeropaid, and I've kept it as up to date as I could through the years. I was wondering if I could get a little feedback though, cause I always get the feeling like I'm missing something big, and I've never gotten criticism from a security-oriented audience. Anything from a simple 0-10 rating, or a "this is complete garbage" is fine by me, I can take it :D.

http://www.zeropaid.com/bbs/showthread.php?p=263091#post263091
    (mirrored here: http://www.nsaneforums.com/index.php?showtopic=19134 )

Thank you.

2. malakai1911

And if this either isn't in the right section, or not in good taste to make a request of this nature, I apologize sincerely.

3. Joeythedude

Joeythedude Registered Member

Really good thread. 9/10. I especially like the layout of it.
    Lots of good stuff and very easy to skim through ( for a vet like me :cautious: ).

1)
    My personal - very quick thoughts
    Malware Bytes I'd stick up a notch.

2)
    I'd add secunia as an online version checker - important to get rid of flash and java when they are out of date, as exploits often come through those.
    takes 2/3 mins to check.

2.1 :)
    KAS2010 will kick ass - has every security concept on the go and good for "normal users" to install and forget about.

3)
    A backup tool of somekind is a good idea , pref an image based one. there is a free one called macirum I think.

J

4. DriveSentry User

DriveSentry User Registered Member

Awesome guide,but you forgot one HIPS that's really good((DriveSentry))! LOL :D

5. malakai1911

Thank you very much.

1.) I've been hesitant to recommend MB over a2, mainly beacuse I've used a2 much more over time and feel more comfortable recommending it. As time passes, things do switch positions, I'm not fanboying.

2.) I do advocate staying up-to-date and secunia is great, but I wasn't sure about using it as a version tracker. 2.1.) KIS 2010 eh? Is that in beta or speculation? I'll look at it when its out :)

3. I completely overlooked backups!! I'll work backups into a future version of the guide.

I've actually been reviewing HIPS solutions, but I'm not going to recommend utilities that I haven't personally tried out, and I haven't gotten a chance to try it yet :) Just a cursory exam of the website and it looks like it has an AntiVirus integrated, and I wanted to stay a little more pure (unless its completely friendly with existing AV solutions, but even then I'm still a little hesitant).

6. jetro

jetro Registered Member

Very well done guide . Thanks for your efforts !!
    j

7. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Welcome to the forum malakai1911.

Excellent guide!:thumb: It's 10!

I think that Drive Sentry is worth a look and would be a good addition to your guide. Prevx might be another good addition.

Macrium Reflect would also be a good freeware imaging program to add.

http://www.macrium.com/features.asp

8. littlebity

littlebity Registered Member

Great guide malakai !! I gave it a 10 too :thumb:. thanks for the info :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.