HFS+/Win7 x64 - internal ok, external "not initialized"

Discussion in 'HFS for Windows' started by ScuseMe, Dec 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ScuseMe

ScuseMe Registered Member

Hi,

I have a boot camp partition along with the HFS+ OS X partition on the internal 1TB HD of my iMac. I also have 2 external 2TB firewire drives partitioned with HFS+, which contain bootable clones of my internal drive. In addition, I havee a Time Machine partition and several work partitions..

Wanting to use the HFS+ formatted externals as data storage for Win7 x64 boot camp installation, I bought and installed Paragon's HFS+ driver package and was immediately thrilled that I could read & write to my HFS+'s partitions. But I failed to notice until much later that - although the HFS+ driver shows my internal OS X partition just fine - the external drives all say "unallocated" and "not initialized". When I first entered Disk Management, Win7 offered to initialize the 2 externals. I promptly turned that request down :)

I read on another forum that possibly the drive letters assigned to the 2 external drives might be clashing with my internal drive letters, but I can't change the drive letters of these 2 volumes until I initialize them. I don't want to do that. I also renamed the AppleMNT.sys and AppleHFS.sys, but that didn't do anything to correct the situation. Likewise with the reinstalling of Paragon HFS+ driver.

Does anyone have an idea on how I can get Win7 to recognize these HFS+ externals?

Thanks for your time.

p.s. - I should also say that Paragon's Backup & Recovery 10 Home sees both GPT hard drives (and their associated partitions) for backup, but does not list either one of those drives as a target to store the backup images.

p.p.s. - Here's my partitioning scheme from the diskutil output. It's disk1 and disk2 that Win7 says are "not initialized":

Code:
    /dev/disk0
       #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
       0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *1.0 TB     disk0
       1:                        EFI                         209.7 MB   disk0s1
       2:                  Apple_HFS Macintosh HD            669.8 GB   disk0s2
       3:       Microsoft Basic Data BOOTCAMP               219.5 GB   disk0s3
    /dev/disk1
       0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *2.0 TB     disk1
       1:                  Apple_HFS AV Assets               431.5 GB   disk1s1
       2:                  Apple_HFS iMac Clone 2            858.9 GB   disk1s2
       3:                  Apple_HFS Work                    323.0 GB   disk1s3
       4:                        EFI                         209.7 MB   disk1s4
    /dev/disk2
       0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *2.0 TB     disk2
       1:                  Apple_HFS Time Machine            933.5 GB   disk2s1
       2:                  Apple_HFS AV Assets Clone         325.7 GB   disk2s2
       3:                  Apple_HFS Mac OS X Install DVD    14.9 GB    disk2s3
       4:                  Apple_HFS iMac Clone 1            688.9 GB   disk2s4

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  2. ScuseMe

I've entered ticket 3082273 in Paragon's support system to track my problem.

3. ScuseMe

The final resolution was that iPartition has an option to "show partitions to Windows". This is off by default. By turning it on for the partitions, Windows was able to read the partitions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.