"Hey! You! Get Off Of My Cloud!"

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by QBgreen, Jul 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

Enough with this terminology already! :gack: It's tediously monotonous! I can only imagine the pearl that some creative genius will come up with next. Wait...I've got it! How about "The Enema Anti-Malware System"! With the "Enema", the possible malware is identified and dealt with by forcing vast amounts of anti-malware goodness into your system on a continuous basis. You won't ever be able to get anything done, but relief is assured!

2. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Is this a private cloud then? :D

It's one of those throw away expressions that can encompass a lot of tech.

cloud os...

faq

enterprise

example

Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
  3. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Like I said in another thread, it's suddenly become the buzzword. In a few years it'll be something else.

4. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Correct - that's how it always is and probably always will be. They want people to see "hey, they too have a cloud!" :D

5. trjam

trjam Registered Member

call it what you want but I think in one aspect, it is the wave of the future. Call it remote scanning or what, but the idea is to make a program very light on a pc. And this is one way to do it. Also with Norton, I will bet you that even though the plan is to supplement it with sigs, those will be fazed out over a couple of years. Cloud technology and Sandboxing are the 2 most secure and lightest setups to come along. The 2 need to go together.

6. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Ofc. In Norton's case, ONLY when it's not recognized by Quorum it'll be passed over to SONAR, Auto-Protect etc. This means the process is very fast and effective. There are two outcomes... if it's detected by Quorum as bad or safe, it's automatically blocked or permitted depending on what of the two - almost the same thing probably goes for if it's passed on. The other outcome is, if it's not recognized, not enough data, or not automatically determined action, it'll tell the user this: the file is too new and there's not enough data to make a determination automatically - we recommend you to block this program till more data has been gathered by us. Just with probably a little different wording, but I think it sums it up. :p

The bottom-line is, it's always first passed on to Quorum for analyzis, which is a very fast process. If it's recognized or determined that way, it passes this along to Auto-Protect to take the appropriate action - allow or disallow. Makes a very effective method. ;) Norton Insight is also involved in this a lot to speed up the process even more by skipping files to scan that are known to be safe. Quorum builds upon this technology to add further white- and black-listing to the mix. :) Download Insight is involved a lot too as it checks everything you download against the cloud-db of Quorum, which also makes a fast and effective process. Download Insight is additionally independent of which browser you use. Vulnerability Protection is there to bolster the protection both proactively and through signature, so that you're safe even if not always up-to-date with the individual software. Norton works more and more as a whole and adds protection as time goes by without slowing the system down. Instead it does the opposite - it makes it running lighter. ;)

More info. can be obtained at these places, atleast the two for now that I consider explains thoroughly if you go through both of them what Norton 2010 and its protection is about:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Nort...et-Security-2010-Download-Insight/ba-p/113827

http://community.norton.com/norton/board/message?board.id=nis2010_pb&thread.id=310

7. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Registered Member

Trjam, although both “cloud technology” and virtualization are important for security, why do you see these as “linked” to one another? In other words, what benefits accrue to the user when a security product has integrated together both in a single solution versus the case in which the two technologies come from different vendors?

8. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

The term has been around for awhile coined in the 90s. You have private, public, hybrid clouds and also logical and physical clouds.

Some disadvantages for enterprise would be the loss of control to third party.

9. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

Hi Jeff
    I agree with you on this one.
    You see more vendors doing or testing this including Trend, Panda and kaspersky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.