Hey, has anyone used the Disk Clone?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by rickla2@earthlink., Sep 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rickla2@earthlink.

rickla2@earthlink. Registered Member

Has anyone use the disk clone in True Image Ver. 8? I have a new SATA drive and would like to transfer my system (all four partitions) to the new SATA drive and i would like to know if anyone has done this also what their result was.

Thank You,

LSMAN o_O

2. DaHen

DaHen Registered Member

I would like to try the disk clone and am tempted to but where as I am a newbie, I am hesitant.

Keep wanting to purchase a inexpensive machine to experiment on. Not only disk clone but also reformatting etc.... :oops:

3. Jezza

Jezza Registered Member

I used it with TI 7 (not 8 ) with no problems at all. I got a new 160 gig hard drive and the disk clone function transfered everything, named the new drive as C, renamed the old drive as E (I kept it as a second drive) and did all of this in about 10 minutes for about 30 gigs of data. The computer booted perfectly first time. However, I have EIDE disks not SATA.

Hope that's of some use to you.

4. johnpd

johnpd Registered Member

What do you do in the case of a laptop? I have an external harddrive (which has several partitions on it) to which I wish to create an image of my current laptop harddrive, then install a new harddrive in the laptop, and restore the image to it. I looked through the FAQs and the TI User Guide and could not find a procedure for this. My understanding is a "clone" will wipe out whatever is on the destination drive. If I create an image to do a restore, do I need to partition and format the new drive before doing the restore?

5. me75006

me75006 Registered Member

Just buy an extra hd to experiment on, its much cheaper than a whole pc !

6. DaHen

DaHen Registered Member

I do have two external HDs. But where as they are still connected with the USB cord to my one and only machine, I don't want to click on the wrong button and lose something.

"Murphy's Law" is still somewhere in this room & I don't want to find it, lol. :eek:

Like johnpb mentioned, "My understanding is a "clone" will wipe out whatever is on the destination drive.". Statements like that in various FAQ's scare me.

Thanks for the suggestion though. :)

7. johnpd

johnpd Registered Member

I have some questions on this particular FAQ regarding cloning a laptop hard drive for replacing it with a new hard drive. I have eliminated the "sysprep" instuctions, since it would not apply in my case.

---------------------------------------------------------

1. Create Acronis True Image 8.0 bootable rescue media with Rescue Media Builder available in Acronis True Image 8.0 program menu.

2. Prepare to reboot the computer. First, put the Acronis True Image 8.0 bootable rescue media in the CD drive and boot the system. Now run the program and create an image of the prepared hard disk.

I assume the image could also be created while in Windows although it would be better done outside of Windows ?

3. Install the new hard drive into your computer (or take the image you just made to your new computer).

4. Boot from Acronis True Image 8.0 rescue media again and restore the image to the new hard drive (or computer).

5. Reboot the computer.

Assuming the old and new hard drives are the same size, does this process create the same partitions (size and format) on the new disk as was on the old? In other words there is no need to partition/format the new disk.

8. Jezza

Jezza Registered Member

No reason to. In my experience TI has always made perfect images from within Windows and on the occasions I've had to restore them they've worked perfectly.

That's right. Part of the restore/clone process (if you're restoring/cloning an entire disk) involves writing over all existing partitions, so it would be pretty pointless partitioning the disk first.

Hope that's useful to you.

9. rickla2@earthlink.

rickla2@earthlink. Registered Member

I started this thread and also I have done it! :eek:

I moved 4 partitions from my old drive to a new SATA drive and formated the old one. When it creates the new cloned drive it does so in DOS not inside Windows, there are not conflicts with and anti-virus or other software. The software worked flawlessly!

My suggestion's are to BACKUP before you start and if you don't have knowledge of how to partition a drive then do an automatic clone of the old drive instead of a manual one.

Also just for info I have used the Image Restore more than a dozen times and it works flawlessly to. :-*

10. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Not wishing to be pedantic but its actually Linux based not DOS.

Anyway, glad TI Disk Clone worked well for you. Happy imaging.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.