Heuristics and Deepguard

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Iangh, May 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

I would like a technical perspective not a which one is better.

Perhaps somebody with greater technical expertise than me could answer it.

Mods - please don't close the thread, again, as it's a perfectly valid question.

Can somebody explain to me the pros and cons of Heuristics versus F-Secure's Deepguard?

What bases do they cover? How effective? Why you chose either?

Thanks,
    Ian

EDIT: I have removed the reference to a specific company's heuristics as the reference is superfluous to the discussion. I referenced the company because I am using their suite at the moment.

Last edited: May 10, 2008
  2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Alright, we'll give it a shot, however, the most likely answers are going to be simple statements based upon which product most people use. Very few people here know the internals of how these apps actually work. And the AV employees and other AV Experts are not likely to provide a technical analysis here about either. That means for the most part, regular users are going to reply with the product they like, use or "heard/read" is better.

By way of this post, I'm advising people to not reply that way. For those who have a good technical understand of these apps and can reply without making it a one liner "Avira - two thumbs up!" go for it.

3. lordpake

lordpake Registered Member

As someone who deals with F-Secure products at work I too am curious about their technology and how it works.

As far as I can remember the Deepguard is licensed from Norman (Norman Sandbox)? Can't remember where I read it from (Wilders?) and I think I once saw copyright notifications in the About-information given by F-Secure app referring to Norman ASA.

I too wish to hear an answer from someone with good technical understanding :)

4. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Heuristics is mostly based on suspicious code detection, or suspcious packers and in some cases even file headers. It detects files in inactive state and sometimes in active state as well and has varying degrees of efficiency.

DeepGuard, runs only real-time and on-execution as well as on inactive samples. It is a combination of heuristics and HIPS, files are analysed using Gemini and the Norman Sandbox first and then the HIPS approach is used on execution. It provides a much more effective approach as it can intercept suspicious activities on more levels than ordinary heuristics.

5. Sportscubs1272

Sportscubs1272 Registered Member

Deepguard is also called System Control?

Would Deepguard would be in the same category as Threatfire?

I have been using an ISP version of F-Secure for a day so I'm not really familiar with F-Secure. I'm supposely getting this version for free. I have TF on my XP machine and a totally different firewall and antivirus as well. I have F-Secure PC Protection Plus on my Vista laptop.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.