Help!

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by mfalvey1, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mfalvey1

mfalvey1 Registered Member

Windows XP:

When I activate internet explorer, more often than not, nothing happens. On Windows Task Manager, nothing will be listed under applications, though, under processes, there will be an iexplorer.exe for every time I've tried to activate explorer, usually with a memory usage stuck at about 11,000K. I've scanned my computer for viruses and have found nothing.

Oddly enough, one way around the problem is to already have Windows Task Manager up and running when I activate explorer, though this only works about 75% of the time. If I don't do that, explorer only opens about 25% of the time. On a probably related note, when I shut down the computer, I've noticed a blinking effect on the desktop, as though numerous hidden programs were being shut down (these might just be the stalled explorers).

If anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated.

2. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Hi mfalvey1 and welcome to Wilders.

The first thing i would do is post a HijackThis log over at this site,

http://gladiator-antivirus.com/forum/index.php?showforum=170

discribing your problem as u have here then let the experts there give u recommendations on any malware found. If indeed your system is clean at least that would eliminate any suspicion of a virus, trojan or spyware causing this issue.

snowbound

3. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

It's always good to state what operating system you are using. As well as any security programs that you have like Av, antispyware ,anti trojan etc as the answer to your problem may already be on your computer. Also it allows people to make better recomendations. Certainly I would also do what Snowbound suggested.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.