HELP!!!!!!

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Rico, Jun 23, 2021.

1. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi. Dell 8930 win10 Right after win10 feutature update for win10:
    Error msg's occured:

kmode exception > reboot, windows said "not clean shutdown" rebuild mediia. Back in windows then 2nd error. reboot again. Bacik in windows chos,e 'shutdown' cold boot . Upon reboot logo screen windows rebuilds media, windows did not shut down clean.

Nxt. attempt boot "invalid sig detected, check secure boot policy in setup"

I tried to get past uefi, & boot from Macrium rescue usb

then PXE boot or cancel

I did get uefi but could not boot to rescue

I turned back on uefi, it now says "Boot mode is set to UEFI, with legacy OPROM: Secure boot off"

Hopefully hdd did not die, I'll take better notes! At F12 boot options under UEFI an ottion is ipv4 boot
    I did see F2 bios usb boot enabled

Help

2. Rico

Rico Registered Member

I got to Macrium 8 rescue!

Try 'fix boot' cannot, choosing 'windows 10 not accepted, with path c:\windows

Restore could not choose c: as destination, does this mean my hdd is bad.

I'll turn off the ext hdd & leave the machine the machine alone. In case I'm missing something

two stop errors, all reboots, windows did not shutdown clean, re-build media, cnotold boot, invalid sig detected, check secure boot in setup
    pxe_boot, also somewhere said the 1.8 TB not compatible. Summary

3. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Last Where i mentioned above 1.8Tb drive, said not compatible, in red, i pressed 'ctrl + I' This was Intel Rapid Storage Option ROM.

two options exit & reset disks to non raid. This is where my c: can be seen 1.8TB and in red letters Incompaible

4. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

What type of RAID are you running? If RAID 0 sounds like maybe one of your disks died. It's sounding like a hardware failure of some kind in any case.

5. Rico

Rico Registered Member

xxJackxx Thank You!

I'm not sure which RAID used, it would be default, for Dell XPS 8930. It has two hdd's, mechanical & smaller solid state drive. The ssd is choose-able, Macium 8 rescue enviorn, but too small to be destination drive.

With my two left thumbs & dead ears, I'll pull cover & listen for hdd's motor.

Right out of the box, stick new drive in, boot to rescue disk, choose dissimilar hardware option. Anything I need to know or questions, it may ask?

Update! Removed drive used sata cable/usb. SATA red light on, sata/usb connector, plugged power into drive. Place to ear no sound. I should be able to hear, motor, no sound

Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
  6. Rico

Rico Registered Member

dead drive is Seagate 2 TB ST2000M001, pn # 1ER 164-030

I will be using Macrium image to restore. Macrium 8 rescue disk, showed option, for restore to 'dissimilar' hardware. What info is required to make this an easy restore to new hdd.

7. xxJackxx

Sounds like a hybrid setup with a regular drive and a SSD for cache. Sounds like the Hard drive failed and the cache drive is still good. Assuming you will replace the bad drive and you have a Macrium image it should be pretty easy to restore. I think the RAID controller takes care of the cache drive. You would just need to restore the image to the partition on the hard drive and is "should" be easy. I don't think a new drive counts as dissimilar hardware. It's the same PC. Should not be an issue.

8. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Excellent Many thanks!

Seagate said call Dell drive still under warranty , Dell say systm warranty expired, ,call seagate, segat says it's oem & not covered. What luck

9. xxJackxx

Unfortunately when it is OEM the manufacturer's (Seagate, WD, etc.) warranty does not apply. And Dell's warranty is short. Hard drives are cheap so it could be worse. Find a replacement of equal or greater size and you should be good to go.

10. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Seagate 2tb barracuda, arrives today or tomorrow, $75. Hopefully no curve balls, on restore. I can't hit the curve

11. xxJackxx

I'm expecting it to go well. I've done several Macrium restores in the past year. No issues with any of them.

12. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Got the new drive installed F12 bottom of that screen, chose:

F12 bottom page chose/changed:

"Boot set to Legacy"
    "Secure Boot off

reboot > windows set up
    reboot > F12 choose USB boot > goes to windows setup

Odd as 2 days ago used same flash drive & booted to Macrium rescue
    pin
    My wife's Dell laptop, change to Legacy!,

could not boot to rescue. reset to "secure Boot On"
    made
    reboot Windows said something went wrong with "pin" made new pin,
    Tried to backup her machine, Macrium could see UEFI error. Reboot retry 22 min left

Either my USB boot disk (worked 2 days ago is bad), can't boot from it & proceeds down boot list, till it sees win setup.

Questions:

I'm I doing something wrong & Flash Drive Macium boot disc is ok

If boot disk is bad, can i remake rescue di sk Wifes machine, both dell one laptop other desktop. Boot from newly made laptop rescue disk, insert, in desktop, boot to, then choose my image, from backup drive for desktop?

Allow windows to set up, install Macrium 8, then restore image from within windows

I may have other Mac rescue disks, I might try

13. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Special Thank You's to: xxJackxx, & Brian K:,

Not entirely smooth, & perhaps my lack or forgotten:

Macrium two machines booting to Mac Rescue, caused 'pin' to be reset, & one does not think of 'updating' M$ contact info. Cumbersome work around, when expecting 100% restore to, from image. made a nw
    which i
    I made usb drive, & Mac... rescue disk, from Dell laptop, & tried it on my deskto windowsp. It worked & re,tored.

But windows balked regarding 'pin' (second time), send code (v etherneterify) had old txt/phone numbers.
    What made it worse, I failed to re-connect Ethenet cord, reboot.

Windows upon reboot is still checking for media, then says PBX boot fail, then goes to Windows

windows does chkdsk.

used win password to log on

Now partying like it's 5/26/2021 & bringing all up to date

Both machines now back to secure boot <should have said earlier>

Macrium should not destroy "pin's" for log into windows from using/checking rescue disk. That was not, my experience previously
    Is it a 'bug found' or just old age mem?"

Note: Since DOS 4.0, I've been teaching computers, remove restoredd zillons of malware, taught backup & restored (perfectly fine machines) demo in classes.

Thank you's: Jack, Brian, & my comfy place Wilders

14. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Ah! After restore:
    upload_2021-6-26_22-45-51.png

Restore from image 5/26/2021, error not present. Or this occur upon restore.
    win updates & r-click icon updtate, not working,

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.