Help!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by BeachBill, Nov 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeachBill

BeachBill Registered Member

Hi,
    I purchased Acronis Image Home Version 10 in 2007. I updated it to build level 4942. I used it for months backing up my music library to an external hard drive. The back up worked fine. However, the 1st problem I had was when I tried to restore several files (say 5) at the same time, only two files would be restored. I submitted a trouble report to tech support. All that happened was I got the most syrup 'ee run around I have ever had from any tech support crowd. They kept asking me to do this and do that and report back to them. I got so fed up I just said to heck with it. I'll just restore the files one at a time. Easier than dealing with the support crowd and essentially doing their job for them. Now, I have replaced my system drive and and operating system. I installed Acronis and updated it to build 4942. Now, Acronis will not back up data period. I start it running, everything goes well until I tell it to start the backup. Then I get the MS message application failed. Log shows not problem. I'm using Win XL Pro for an operating system.

I thought that I would just uninstall Acronis and start with the install all over again. No dice. I cannot find an Acronis Uninstall and worse than that, when I go to Program Add/Delete, it does not even show Acronis. I tried to just install Acronis without uninstalling it hoping that it would do a replacement. It says the new install went Ok, but I think it just found the program already installed and faked it.

I will greatly appreciate any help with these problems.
    Thanks in advance,
    Bill

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

If you only want to back up your music library or other purely data files, use something like the free Karen's Replicator or a batch file using the Xcopy command. Your backup will be in native format instead of the proprietary .tib format. With the right switches, Xcopy will copy only new or changed files. KR will do the same automatically.

3. BeachBill

Thanks for the suggestion. I also backup my system and other stuff. The music is updated most frequently and the library is large (400GB and growing).

4. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Regarding your restoring problems of data files, one workaround would be

1. Right click on *.tib archive file which contains the desired file. Click the Mount option.
    2. From the display, select the same or desired *.tib backup file.
    3. If incrementals also offereed, select the desired *.tib backup file
    4. Deselect all drives listed other than the one drive containing your old file.
    5. Select the read only mode.
    6. This should cause the backup file to be mounted as another drive letter--such as X:
    7. Open Windows Explorer and click on the newly assigned drive letter.
    8. This will open Window Explorer and adjust the window size about 50%.
    9. Now click on the destination drive & folder and adjust the windows size 50%

Now you have two windows open--both the source and target.
    You should be able to hightlight several files in the source and drag them into the target folder.
    Or you could hightlight a group of files in the source and choose the copy option;
    then go into the target window and choose the paste option.

This procedure would enable you to transfer multiple files at one time. If the source and destination is always the same, you could create two desktop shortcuts pointing to each folder and use the shortcuts after you have mounted the drive.

When all done, again open Windows Explorer and right click in the mounted drive letter and choose the UNMOUNT option.

There method is only one of several possibilities.

Music files are already compressed so a TrueImage backup does not save much space. If the files are important to you, I would suggest another hard drive so you could alternate the backup between two backup disks. Keep in mind that it is not safe to have your external always attached--due to electrical surges, etc.

The nice feature of Karen's Replicator is that you can schedule it to run whenever and it will copy the changes only to the destination drive. I have used it for years and I find it extremely helpful. All of her programs are great.

5. BeachBill

Thanks for the help. I plan to start using Karen's Replicator to back up my music. It seems that the problems I started having with Acronis is caused because my music format is "flac". It is a lossless format that doesn't do a lot of compression. Seems to be more than Acronis can handle. It's a pity that Acronis doesn't provide a list of file formats that cause problems.

Thanks again for your help..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.