Help with x64 IE9 for W7!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ratchet, Feb 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

Although I rarely use IE, I do occasionally go there (e.g. my ISP telephone features GUI won't render correctly in Ff/Cf) and it is always in slow motion. I consistently test at around 17mbs (pay for 15) yet you'd think I was still on dial up. I've disabled any kind of security addon too. It doesn't matter if sandboxed or not. IE Tab + doesn't work with Cf but when called in Ff, IE pages render instantly without issue. No page renders instantly in IE which makes it stranger. I un-installed it and reinstalled it but nothing changed! There has to be some fundamental problem here. Thank you!

2. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

First, take note that IE 9 x64 is considerably slower than IE 9 x86.

Source: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ieinternals/archive/2009/05/29/q-a-64-bit-internet-explorer.aspx

This performance difference doesn't apply to IE 10 x64 vs IE 10 x86. However, the final version of IE 10 x86/x64 for Windows 7 is still to be released.

To troubleshoot IE performance in general, check this article and follow the steps:

- http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/...-explorer/slow-five-tips-to-boost-performance

You may also want to try this tool (the option Repair Internet Explorer must be checked / the other options are also safe to check):

- http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/windows_repair_all_in_one.html

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  3. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I very rarely use IE, but I have to disagree with this. In my experience the x64 IE 9 is (or seems to me) faster than the x86. It's no secret that I am not a huge fan of Internet Explorer but the x64 IE 9 is one of the fastest browsers I've ever used. In fact, I don't see any noticeable difference between it & Opera x64. Of course; mileage may vary.

4. Wild Hunter

This isn't really a matter of disagree/agree.

If IE 9 x64 feels faster for you, it is because of slow x86 addons that don't load with IE 9 x64 and/or some corruption and/or some combination of custom settings slowing your IE 9 x86.

The browser IE 9 x64, by itself, is slower than the browser IE 9 x86 - because it has no JIT script compiler.

..."In IE9 there's one other major difference between the 32bit and 64bit versions of IE. IE9 includes a new script interpreter which is much faster than the script interpreter in IE8. However, 32bit IE9 also includes a Just In Time (JIT) script compiler which converts script into machine code before running it. There is no JIT compiler for 64bit IE. So, for benchmarks like SunSpider (and script-heavy sites) 32bit IE9 runs script up to 4 times as fast as 64bit IE9 (which itself runs script around 5x as fast as IE8 ). So, you could end up paying a significant speed penalty when using 64bit IE9 vs using the default 32bit version."...

Source: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ieinternals/archive/2009/05/29/q-a-64-bit-internet-explorer.aspx

5. Daveski17

I disagree.

I have no add-ons & have no custom settings.

There is no discernible difference between Opera x64 & IE 9 x64 on my system. Although, to be honest I don't think that there is much difference between x86 or 64.

6. Wild Hunter

You may need to run timers and benchmarks and post the results - that would be actually something to be "analyzed".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Browser_speed_test

From my part, you can keep disagreeing, I don't care. The technical differences are too clear to hold any viable debate on this matter.

7. Daveski17

I'm just saying what I am seeing.

Well, it certainly seems like a viable debate to me. I am seeing IE 9 & Opera x64 as being as fast as each other. Why would I make this up? o_O

8. DrBenGolfing

DrBenGolfing Registered Member

Try the IE10 pre-release for Windows 7.

9. Wild Hunter

I was talking about vanilla IE 9 x86 vs vanilla IE 9 x64.

10. Daveski17

OK, but both x64 Opera & IE 9 seem zippier than their x86 eqivalents to me, on my system. Why would I lie about this? o_O

11. Daveski17

I think it's best to wait until they've actually finished it to be honest. ;)

12. Wild Hunter

I'm not saying that your statements are false.

All I'm saying is that Microsoft acknowledges that under "normal conditions" IE 9 x86 should be faster than IE 9 x64 because IE 9 x64 lacks JIT script compiler.

And that it would be nice to see more details about what is happening in your machine that produces such supposed contradictory results (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Browser_speed_test).

13. Daveski17

I'm just saying what I am seeing. It could all be in my imagination, ontologically speaking, for all I know.

14. ratchet

ScreenShot001.jpg

ScreenShot002.jpg
    Could it have anything to do with java disabled (in both browsers)?
    This is the pathetic difference!

15. Wild Hunter

What test was that?

16. ratchet

The first one in this search. Runs when you open the link, that is why I didn't directly link it! It is called speed-battle.com
    Also, that was with Cfox sandboxed, IE not!

17. ratchet

I reset IE default options as is suggested at MS help and dang if it isn't crisp. Still doesn't score high but no issues and as I stated seems very, very fast!

18. DrBenGolfing

DrBenGolfing Registered Member

Been running it since it was released---zero problems, but I see ratchet has solved his problem the usual way you fix IE.

19. Daveski17

I hardly use IE. I'm in no hurry to upgrade. I doubt it will have any real advantages over IE 9 anyway.

20. ratchet

The other interesting thing about this issue is the fact that, since I rarely ever use it, I'd never, ever tweaked it. Apparently it just corrupted on its own!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.