help with wireless router

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Dorn, Mar 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dorn

Dorn Registered Member

I plug in the cable and want to start to add a Wireless Router for my 2 Laptops at home.
    When i plug in the Router i directly can go out and surf on the Internet even that i didnt completed a Protected SSID name and password, and the SSID name is: DLink and its unprotected, but then when i add and i choose the name: D-Link-Wireless and make a Password ****** for it, then i can join it and go out and surf on the Internet.
    But now the biggest problem is that D-Link-Wireless is protected with password and its ok but still the DLink the other is remain unprotected and visible to others that can steal my bandwith, and DLink that is unprotected i cant delete or add a password to it, so please help me what to do?
    thanks.

2. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Client PC's may show two networks after you password protect it. It will eventually refresh that and all you'll have will be protected one.
    Don't worry, if you set the security parameters correctly no one can connect to it even though some of your clients still show network as open.

3. Dorn

Dorn Registered Member

Are you 10% sure that even if it shows some client-network is open and its mine DLink that i am protected and nobody is using my bandwith?
    thnx

4. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Not sure for D-Link but i've been playing with 3 Linksys models, WRT54G, WRV200 and WRT54GL. They all worked the same, GL version was a bit more flexible with alternate firmware and didn't even show this issue.

5. Dorn

Dorn Registered Member

so has no one other had this issue?
    if anyone could help me in some way please?

6. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Hi Dorn,

what model D-Link router are you using?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.