Help with Windows Defender

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by Albinoni, Jun 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Albinoni

Albinoni Registered Member

It is to my understanding that MS does not support WD anymore with W2K, sad but true. Personally speaking W2K to me is still my fav OS from MS and as I beleieve was one of the most stable OS MS ever bought out. Ok I'm not here to start a anti OS war, but like I said this is my own personal opinion.

Now I've got two choices here; 1. Completely uninstall WD or 2. Re-install it again, which really would be pointless because MS no longer supports it.

Now I did try earlier to uninstall it but unfortunately I was having probs and the main one was because my WD is corrupted I could not uninstall it.

This is the error I get:

"Application failed to initialised 0x800106ba. A problem caused windows defender service to stop. To start the service, restart your computer or search help on how to start manually.

So what I'm planning to do is to completely uninstall it and say goodbye to WD.

Also while on this topic whats your view on BO Clean ?

Thank you.

2. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

Uninstall WD (detection rates stink anyhow) and switch to AVGAS, SuperAntiSpyware, or simply use both. :D

3. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Uninstall WD.

Comodo-BoClean?
    I can't debate it's effectiveness as I haven't had it find anything.
    Scanners only detect spyware cookies here lately.
    C-BOClean does run light.

4. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Uninstalling it successfully is something I can't help much with, the only version I used was MS Antispyware, till it stopped one sad day. But in "add/remove programs" there is sometimes a "repair" or "reinstall" options, which would hopefully un-corrupt it (it that even a word?) and then hopefully you can uninstall cleanly.

Part two.
    I've ended up with SpywareTerminator. Freeware. Realtime. An optional HIPS component. Optional Clam AV integrated (does not interfere with your resident AV.)
    Also using Boclean, though I don't think it's necessary.
    Give one or both of those a try.
    ST works in 2000.
    http://www.spywareterminator.com/help/help.aspx?faqid=1275&faqmod=HELP_Instal_ST

5. Albinoni

Albinoni Registered Member

How do I scan the HDD with Boclean ? Tried going into my C drive and right click, menu pops up but there is no option there to scan with Boclean.

6. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Boclean isn't a scanner. It monitors memory and stops (or supposed to stop) known trojans that start running.
    So. No scanning possible.

7. argus tuft

argus tuft Registered Member

You can drag an individual file into BOClean, (the area that pops up when you right click on the icon), and provided it's not a .sys file, BOClean will alert you if it is infected.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.