help with windows 2000, PLEASE

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by iceni, Aug 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni

iceni Guest

hi, i'm with my cousin at his friend's house trying to fix this computer. it's a windows 2000. at WU it has all these sevice packs going back to 2002 here what do i install? everything, or just SP4? thanks

2. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Start with SP4. That will give you a large chunk of the updates. After it has installed, then download the rest of the updates from Windows Update.

3. ice60

ice60 Guest

thanks Capp, i'll do that. i just had a look in add/remove programs and i can't see where to find what has been install from WU do you know where it might be? i can't see anything to check to show them.

4. Capp

Capp Registered Member

At the top of the Add/Remove program screen, is there a checkbox that says something along the lines of "Show installed updates"? If so, check it.

If not, try this: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wul.html

5. ice60

ice60 Guest

i'll go back to WU after i install SP4 and see what it says. thanks for the help :) there's so much rubbish on this PC - 180 thingy that Bullseye thing too LOL. when i installed ewido there were about 10 things found in the memory - spyware, trojandownloaders, backdoors. it's horrible stuff :mad:

6. ice60

ice60 Guest

no, no checkbox.

i like nirsoft stuff, i'll have alook at the link after the install. thanks :)

7. Capp

Capp Registered Member

I get those all the time. Fortunately, it's kinda fun for me...which is a good thing considering the number of times I have had to clean them for people :)

Good Luck!

8. ice60

ice60 Guest

LOL it's also got sidefind, gator, rapidblaster, media access etc.

the SP won't install. there is a D partiton and it's 35 MBs, 10 times bigger then C. when i try and install it it says there's no room. i just downloaded Ranish Partition Manager has anyone used i before? there's no windows CD

what should i do?

9. ice60

ice60 Guest

the C partiton is FAT32 and the D NTFs

10. ice60

ice60 Guest

sorry for all these posts i would normally edit the last post, but i am scared to login with all this stuff on the PC. is there an easy way to delete the D partition?

11. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Ok, let me get this straight. The hard drive is partitioned into two drives (c and d) D: is 35Mb's? which is 10x larger than C:? That would make C: only 3.5Mb's, which is not enough space to install any modern OS. Do you Gb? C drive is Fat32 and D is NTFS.

I have used Partition Manager a few times with success. I recommend it.

The OS is installed on C correct? If so, are you trying to install SP4 on to C or D?

12. ice60

ice60 Guest

13. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Holy Cow!

Is the OS installed on C:?

If you talking about the same Partition Manager that I have been using, then yes it is very easy to use and works really fast.

14. ice60

ice60 Guest

i double-checked it's on C ;)

i just tried to run PM and it says "the system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS..." i don't know what to do :( maybe just run ewido and go home :D

15. Capp

Capp Registered Member

You won't be able to install SP4 until you can get rid of some stuff on C: It takes up quite a bit of space.

I would definitely boot to safe mode and run Ewido. maybe even throw Ad-Aware, Spybot S&D, and MS Anti-Spyware as well.

Good Luck with it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.