help with windows 2000, PLEASE

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by iceni, Aug 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni

iceni Guest

hi, i'm with my cousin at his friend's house trying to fix this computer. it's a windows 2000. at WU it has all these sevice packs going back to 2002 here what do i install? everything, or just SP4? thanks

2. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Start with SP4. That will give you a large chunk of the updates. After it has installed, then download the rest of the updates from Windows Update.

3. ice60

ice60 Guest

thanks Capp, i'll do that. i just had a look in add/remove programs and i can't see where to find what has been install from WU do you know where it might be? i can't see anything to check to show them.

4. Capp

Capp Registered Member

At the top of the Add/Remove program screen, is there a checkbox that says something along the lines of "Show installed updates"? If so, check it.

If not, try this: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wul.html

5. ice60

ice60 Guest

i'll go back to WU after i install SP4 and see what it says. thanks for the help :) there's so much rubbish on this PC - 180 thingy that Bullseye thing too LOL. when i installed ewido there were about 10 things found in the memory - spyware, trojandownloaders, backdoors. it's horrible stuff :mad:

6. ice60

ice60 Guest

no, no checkbox.

i like nirsoft stuff, i'll have alook at the link after the install. thanks :)

7. Capp

Capp Registered Member

I get those all the time. Fortunately, it's kinda fun for me...which is a good thing considering the number of times I have had to clean them for people :)

Good Luck!

8. ice60

ice60 Guest

LOL it's also got sidefind, gator, rapidblaster, media access etc.

the SP won't install. there is a D partiton and it's 35 MBs, 10 times bigger then C. when i try and install it it says there's no room. i just downloaded Ranish Partition Manager has anyone used i before? there's no windows CD

what should i do?

9. ice60

ice60 Guest

the C partiton is FAT32 and the D NTFs

10. ice60

ice60 Guest

sorry for all these posts i would normally edit the last post, but i am scared to login with all this stuff on the PC. is there an easy way to delete the D partition?

11. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Ok, let me get this straight. The hard drive is partitioned into two drives (c and d) D: is 35Mb's? which is 10x larger than C:? That would make C: only 3.5Mb's, which is not enough space to install any modern OS. Do you Gb? C drive is Fat32 and D is NTFS.

I have used Partition Manager a few times with success. I recommend it.

The OS is installed on C correct? If so, are you trying to install SP4 on to C or D?

12. ice60

ice60 Guest

13. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Holy Cow!

Is the OS installed on C:?

If you talking about the same Partition Manager that I have been using, then yes it is very easy to use and works really fast.

14. ice60

ice60 Guest

i double-checked it's on C ;)

i just tried to run PM and it says "the system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS..." i don't know what to do :( maybe just run ewido and go home :D

15. Capp

Capp Registered Member

You won't be able to install SP4 until you can get rid of some stuff on C: It takes up quite a bit of space.

I would definitely boot to safe mode and run Ewido. maybe even throw Ad-Aware, Spybot S&D, and MS Anti-Spyware as well.

Good Luck with it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.