Help with screensaver not working- may be a virus?

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by Sidebordz, Dec 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sidebordz

Sidebordz Registered Member

Hello, if anyone can help I would be very appreciative. My parents computer was recently infected with a shellexp.exe spyware/virus. I have since deleted this using hijackthis, but ever since the computer was infected the screensaver has not worked. No matter what I do to change the screensaver settings, it doesn't work. I tried to do a system restore to a time before the shellexp.exe file was infected, but the computer won't allow me to do this. I have a feeling the computer may still be infected with a virus/spyware, but am unable to detect one with a system scan. Anyone know what may be causing the computer to not activate the screensaver, and how I might go about fixing this? I have a hijackthis log, but Im not very familiar with what it all means. Thanks for your help!

-Blake

2. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

U could post your log over here,

http://gladiator-antivirus.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=10517

if u still suspect existing malware. Just follow the instructions at the link and the experts there will be happy to help u.

snowbound

3. Sidebordz

thanks. I will try that!

4. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

You're welcome. :)

snowbound

5. fred128

fred128 Registered Member

The best way to get a virus into your computer is to download a screen saver. That's why a good possibility the screen saver won't work is because you removed the malware portion of it. Get rid of the rest of it and don't ever download a screen saver from the web again.

If you get Mcafee's Site Advisor, put a search into Google for screensaver and you will see that more than 90% of the sites are marked with a warning about the contents. There is nothing more dangerous than going into those places and trying to get something for nothing.

6. Sidebordz

I didnt actually download a screensaver, not sure how shellexp.exe got onto my computer, but the problem I am having is that I can't get any screensaver to work, the factory installed screensavers. No matter how long I leave my computer idle, no screensaver ever comes on.

7. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Have you logged into another account to see if it will work ?

To your knowledge there is no key stuck or mouse problems ?

Bubba

8. Sidebordz

found out it had to do with my wireless keyboard/mouse. Its a microsoft product, and apparently with the powerDVD program that starts at startup running, the screensave will never initiate. I have used msconfig to disable the DVD program at startup, and the screensaver works. Thanks for all your help guys!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.