Help with Restricted sites, IE

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by SteelWolf, Sep 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteelWolf

SteelWolf Registered Member

[B]Hello,
    I searched thru FAQ's and did not find an answer. I'm a medical student and unable to access a site to play exam videos
    "http://www.med-ed.virginia.edu/"
    Other students can access this site. I tried disabling my SW Firewall, disabling Spyware Blaster, addjusted various settings in IE and Firefox 4.0
    The only indication of why is when I tried to enter the above address in safe sites IE, it said it could not b/c it already exists in another zone.
    So I think either Spybot or Spyware Blaster put it in restricted sites.
    The problem," which I had before as well", the entry names in restricted sites do not match the links they block. Furthermore, there is no easy way to remove all the sites in restricted sites all at once in IE.
    It would help if Spybot +Spyware Blaster had an option to type in a site in a "safe zone", instead of trying to figure out which of the thousands of links it is.

Please advise,

Vince[/B]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2005
  2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Since that site is not listed in Spybot's, Spywareblaster or even IE-Spyads database....I added the site(virginia.edu) manually to IE's Restricted Zone. I was then able to access that site with no problem.

What are you actually seeing when you attempt to access that site :doubt:

While I agree it is difficult within IE to fumble thru a longgggg list of URL's contained in the Restricted Zone and unless you want to look in the appropriate place in the registry I suggest you consider downloading the small(184 KB) program below and attempt to find and remove the entry. It has the capability to list any Trusted or Restricted Sites....do a find for a URL and delete the offending URL.

This program---> ZonedOut 2.0 Sept. 15, 2005

Attached Files:

3. SteelWolf

Thanks Bubba,

I'm not sure if I can reply directly or have to post at the forum. I discovered I can access the site when I use my wired LAN connection, but cannot with my wireless card. To answer your question, I get a, "

Cannot find server or DNS Error
    Internet Explorer
    message.

What I think is the same for both is Spyware Blaster, Spybot, Spyware Guard , Trojan Hunter, Trend Micro P-Cillin internet Security suite, and windows updates. I have a Belkin True Mimo Wireless G router that has a dual,"HW", firewall with NAT and SPI. My card is the latest Broadcom 54G wireless card. My wireless network security is WPA-Pre-shared Key with AES, not the less secure TKIP encryption. Now I have to find what in my wireless pipeline is keeping me from accessing the site. Interesting that I only have this wireless connectivity issue problem with this particular site and no no others I'm aware of..

Perhaps I should uncheck my block of ICMP ping? I always thought the HW firewall worked in both wired and unwired, perhaps not. Other than that, the wireless encryption is the only thing I can think of.

I appreciate your help, thanks for the Funky Toad link!

SteelWolf

4. SteelWolf

Re: Help with Restricted sites, IE, Addtional

Bubba, I am not sure if this is an OK way to ask another Question,"replying as opposed to posting". I was surfing some Japanese links, and discovered afterwards my Spyware Blaster download protection was unchecked, and some system changes I made with my Tune-up utilities shareware program were changed, namely a security protocol for windows media, it was changed to either allow auto downloads of codecs or to obtain liscenses automatically. I did a full Anti-virus, Spyware and quick trojan scan all negative. I did allow a japanese language pack to be installed. I never would before b/c I could not tell if it was from Microsoft or otherwise legit third party."I keep unchecked both enable install on demand IE, and enable install on demand other in IE's advanced tab", The link was Japan Today which seems to be an upfront site.I had tried process guard before, but had some problems either due to my inexperience or perhaps due to a conflict with tune-up utilities. Simiilarly, I had a bad experience with spybot's tea timer, It got hung in a feedback loop, and kept asking me the same question over and over again. Any recommendations?

Thanks,

SteelWolf

5. browndk26

browndk26 Registered Member

I am trying to acess part of classmates.com web site to get the free trial to gold membership. IE says it is in restricted zone. Classmates keeps asking for my password and goes right back to where I started. Using zoned out says it is not in the restricted zone. If I try to manually add classmates to the restricted zone, it says it is in another zone. But I cannot find it in a zone! I have spysweeper, ZA antirus/firewall, spybot, spyblaster and spyware guard running. Any ideas?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.