Help with NOD32 on demand scanner

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by futurama17, Jul 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. futurama17

futurama17 Registered Member

Hi ,Cut a long story short I have just installed a 30day trial version of NOD32 to get rid of some spyware problems as well as test out the program. The program seems to have installed fine , However the NOD on demand scanner does not seem able to "scan" my files at all. ON scanning , Virtually every file on my system is either "C:\hiberfil.sys - error opening (File locked) [4]" Locked OR

"C:\Documents and Settings\LAI\My Documents\My Music\Kasabian\07 Running Battle.m4a - error opening (Access denied) [4]" OR ACCESS IS DENIED. Im using the Administrator account but none of

the files seem to be "unlocked" and I dont think the scanner is working properly. If any one could help me out with this problem I would be very greatful. thanks

2. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

You user account documents folders have been made private and are therefore locked unless you are logged in as that user or you clear the 'make documents private' checkbox from when the user account had a password added to it. HTH

Cheers :)

3. futurama17

Thanks , that sounds like it should work but where can i select/ deselect " making my files private" .Thanks

4. alglove

alglove Registered Member

By the way, there are some files that will always be locked, because they are Windows system files that are in active use. Examples of these files include the Windows swap file, the files used by the Windows registry, etc. Here is a list of those files:

5. NOD32 user

First log in as the user you wish to change this setting for.
    Next click Start, then left click on the users picture/icon at the very top of the start menu
    In the window it opens called 'User Accounts' click Back
    Then click 'Remove my password' and follow the prompts
    Since passwords are IMO a pretty good idea, then click 'Create a password'
    When during this you are asked about making files and folders private, just choose no.

6. futurama17

Cheers thanks very much, That seems to be working for my personal files. However i have another problem which is linked to this.

I rescently reinstalled windows ( this was about 4 months ago however). Prior to this I had 4 user accounts on this machine. Cut a long strory short , after I had reinstalled windows i thought the user accouns would be still there but they where Not.
    I can go to C:\Documents and Settings and see the old User accounts so the data is still on this machine. However Not all the user accounts appear on the log in screen. I have 6 user accounts on this directory NOT including
    All Users / All Users.WINDOWS or GUEST.

The user accounts that i created AFTER reinstalling windows are in this directory and ARE shown on the welcome screen. However the accounts created prior to the reinstall are still in folder but DO NOT appear on the welcome screen. Also when I try to access the files from the "OLD " user accounts the system says "Access Denied" I have a feeling that this is happening because the "Old " accounts where password protected and made private.

I know this is not directly relevent, but the old user accounts have a lot of data in them (8 gig or more )Is there a way that i can them all Not private or get access to them so i can Run a virus scan with NOD32 on the data there and gain access to my old useful data and delete the junk that is left over.
    I realise I have gone on a little on this thread. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

7. NOD32 user

My pleasure :)
    Sounds correct.
    Rather than publicise this process, since I don't think this is the right place to make this information public, and it's not NOD32 related - I'll send you a PM shortly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.