Help with .jpg recovery?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by securityx, Jun 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. securityx

securityx Registered Member

My expertise lies only with security and privacy issues, I am not very proficient when it comes to this problem and my family is rather upset at what has happened. Here's the story:

I have a folder that has 106 .jpg files of vacation photos in it that was accidentally deleted off the hard drive. (Not sure exactly how that happened, but that's a different story.) The flash card has already been written over, so recovery there is out of the question. I wrote that the pix "are in the folder" because despite the deletion, they show up with recovery tools as being recoverable. Some "Good" some "Very Good" but all showing correct file names and the right size for the files. The problem is I have used about 25 different recovery tools, including trials that allow you to see if something can be recovered (if you pay the price) --- nothing. They all show it should work, but all recovery attempts give me only picture files that won't open - and I've tried many different image viewers. From what I have read it sounds like probable corruption of the jpeg headers. I've Googled this, but have no experience in trying to mess with this kind of thing. They are important family vacation pictures and we're all just sick about it.

Is there anyone here with a thought on where to go from here? Data Recovery Services have priced themselves out of being an option. I haven't the foggiest on fixing jpeg headers manually and am hoping someone has an idea on some obscure software that might repair .jpg headers. (If that's even the problem.)

Ideas? You would be a hero around this place.

----securityx----

2. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

3. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Hi securityx,

Sorry for your loss. I know how lousy it feels to lose pics and data that is irreplaceable.

I would only add that any recovery programs should not be installed on the same drive as the deleted data as the act of installing the program may overwrite the very data you are trying to recover.

I would also turn off any scheduled defragging for that drive as well.

4. securityx

securityx Registered Member

Thanks for the responses. Yes, Devinco, it's been quite a ride losing these pix. I haven't given up yet....but.....

I've followed all the proper protocols as far as recovering data to a different drive.... oh, and Stevio, both programs you mentioned were among the 25 programs I have tried. This seems most certainly to be a jpeg header corruption problem. It's so frustrating to know the pictures are there - and in good shape - except for the headers. Anybody else with ideas on fixing those? I'll forever be in your debt!

----securityx----

5. dog

dog Guest

6. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

Shame about those Apps not solving it ! If the other suggestions don't work, then i would try this.

Create a new folder and copy ALL the images you want into it, do that anyway as a precaution.

Install RM and try converting say JPG's 10 to for example GIF's, then redo those again as JPG's. If it works you can batch convert the lot as above. Saves hours in time too !

You could try the same idea for any faulty files like music ones. mp3 to WMA and back again. Of course all the renaming techniques above don't actually convert the files to those new formats, just a trick to change the file extension.

I'd be interested to hear how it all works either way, and no harm will be done to the originals in the process !

I have had this very useful App installed myself for some time, it's good and Spyware etc free, but check it yourself beforehand by all means.

http://www.joejoesoft.com/rm.php

StevieO

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.