Help with getting started??

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Ed Y, Oct 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed Y

Ed Y Registered Member

I am going to create a image (full backup of my C: drive to an external hard drive). I'm in the "Create image wizard" and got to the "image archive creation" screen. I've entered a name for the full backup including the external hard drive letter.

Not sure what to use for the files of type: image archives (*.tib) or all files (*).

I initially assumed that since I want to do a full backup, I should select "all files" but since I'm not sure what "image archives" means in this instance, thought I'd better ask.

I've got a C: hard drive that is 40 GB used in Win XP Home so it's NTFS. That's the way Disk 1 (C) shows in the "select partitions to image" screen but it also shows a FAT16 partition on Disk 1 (C) that is 1.44 MB in size.

What's this and should I include it when selection the C: drive?

Thanks,
    Ed

Last edited: Oct 18, 2004
  2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi Ed Y

Welcome to the Acronis True Image Forum.

Select *.tib

Personally, I would choose not to include the 1.44MB second partition.

Regards

3. Ed Y

Ed Y Registered Member

Thanks for the info. Just tried to create an image of my C: hard drive on a USB 2.0 external hard drive (80GB). Got Visual C++ runtime library error. Task went ahead and finished successfully but running a "check image" on it says that it is corrupted. It also created 2 files on the external hard drive, one that is 4,194,304 KB and another that is 84,450 KB. Does that sound normal??

I did send an email to Acronis support with all the details.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2004
  4. johnpd

johnpd Registered Member

Ed,

If your external drive is formatted as FAT32, then it would split files after 4gb.

5. Ed Y

Ed Y Registered Member

Thanks, John. Yes it is FAT 32, I had forgot all about that limitation on FAT32.

Is there any reason that I couldn't format the external hard drive as NTFS tooo_O??

Last edited: Oct 19, 2004
  6. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Not as far as True Image is concerned. It depends whether you wanted to move your external HD between Windows NT/2K/XP machines and Windows 9x/Me machines.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.