Help with getting started??

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Ed Y, Oct 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed Y

Ed Y Registered Member

I am going to create a image (full backup of my C: drive to an external hard drive). I'm in the "Create image wizard" and got to the "image archive creation" screen. I've entered a name for the full backup including the external hard drive letter.

Not sure what to use for the files of type: image archives (*.tib) or all files (*).

I initially assumed that since I want to do a full backup, I should select "all files" but since I'm not sure what "image archives" means in this instance, thought I'd better ask.

I've got a C: hard drive that is 40 GB used in Win XP Home so it's NTFS. That's the way Disk 1 (C) shows in the "select partitions to image" screen but it also shows a FAT16 partition on Disk 1 (C) that is 1.44 MB in size.

What's this and should I include it when selection the C: drive?

Thanks,
    Ed

Last edited: Oct 18, 2004
  2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi Ed Y

Welcome to the Acronis True Image Forum.

Select *.tib

Personally, I would choose not to include the 1.44MB second partition.

Regards

3. Ed Y

Ed Y Registered Member

Thanks for the info. Just tried to create an image of my C: hard drive on a USB 2.0 external hard drive (80GB). Got Visual C++ runtime library error. Task went ahead and finished successfully but running a "check image" on it says that it is corrupted. It also created 2 files on the external hard drive, one that is 4,194,304 KB and another that is 84,450 KB. Does that sound normal??

I did send an email to Acronis support with all the details.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2004
  4. johnpd

johnpd Registered Member

Ed,

If your external drive is formatted as FAT32, then it would split files after 4gb.

5. Ed Y

Ed Y Registered Member

Thanks, John. Yes it is FAT 32, I had forgot all about that limitation on FAT32.

Is there any reason that I couldn't format the external hard drive as NTFS tooo_O??

Last edited: Oct 19, 2004
  6. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Not as far as True Image is concerned. It depends whether you wanted to move your external HD between Windows NT/2K/XP machines and Windows 9x/Me machines.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.