Help with EQ Secure Applications rules

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Diprivan, Jan 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diprivan

Diprivan Registered Member

I have started to use EQSecure....I have downloaded the registry and file protection rulesets from Kees (many thanks!).
    I am at a total loss as how to configure the default application rules. Are there any existing rulesets that would serve as a guide? Can anyone advise?

Many Thanks

2. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

As an equal user of EQS i too feel theres a very important need for a HELP guide to this app. It's of too much value not to have one, thats for sure.

Well seasoned as i might be, i still am finding, even after months, more of the rulesets a challenge in order to properly address every possible potential attack vector to cover properly as intended.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
  3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

4. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Thanks aigle

I'm sure Diprivan will find them helpful.

EQS needs to get it in gear and also release a detailed help file but IMO they seem to just be testing the waters with this HIPS. I been to their forum and found hardly one sensible exchange or discussion other than useless one liner comments. Nothing of substance really, at least nothing that does justice for this HIP'S capability. Maybe theres another one, i dunno, but had to use Google translator just to read in there.

I still say the PC world community at-large NEEDS more developers turning and concentrating efforts to this sort of security, and ONLY this. Not a HIPS group that says well let's add a firewall now too. Or lets change it so much the user will have to expend all their time in studying the new settings.

Mind you each and every single field of these individual specialties are better suited IMO at sticking with THAT one app and sharpen it till the teeth fall off. Then and only then, it's practical to combine other security measures into those forms.

I guess i fall into the category of those who take the layered approach rather then combo, with perhaps OnlineArmor being one of the few exceptions. I still shutter that SSM added network ability, i thought thats what a FIREWALL was purposed to do on it's own. IMO, a solid ALL-COVERAGE HIPS compliments and supports any good firewall, but thats just my own feeling in that regard.

5. Diprivan

Diprivan Registered Member

Thanks Easter & Aigle.
    It looks as if I have a bit of home work to do!
    My first impressions of EQSecure are very positive. I just hope that I can learn to tighten those rules before my computer succumbs to any malware!
    Many Thanks once again.

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Keep the file protection rules a bit leberal!

7. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I will repeat my previous expectation. That is in hope that EQS Group finally release a detailed help file/users guide. This HIPS is exceptional in many ways but boy it's a time consuming chore to set everything to exacting standards.

For first time users learning mode is recommended, but after you become comfortable with it and see the wide range of coverage it offers, you'll be very satisfied and much safer.

I can't wait and do hope they improve the next release even more for nearly failsafe security. Those like myself & others don't mind at all the extra effort to configure because once those rules are made, their set in stone so to speak.

And that removes a great deal of burden off both the user and their other security apps, whatever they may be.

Regards, EASTER

8. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

In the works, but just a tad beyond their resources at the moment.

9. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

THANKS solcroft

Nice to know, you can also let them know there are plenty of us who 100% support and appreciate all the efforts they've made in this venture and have our undivided loyalty. We share in their own expectations as our very own.

Anyone with half vision can easily see a lot of thought and consideration is gone into the making of this HIPS, and i for one am pretty excited over it, so you can imagine the audience of users who will be in a far better position with a HIPS of this nature as it's turning out to be.

10. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

Software development and user interaction is progressing full steam ahead on Chinese forums (official and otherwise), contrary to what you seem to believe. It's not dead, and won't be anytime soon.

11. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi solcroft! u have any info when new version will come out and what are new featureas to be added? I especially want an option to enable MD5 hash check by one-click for all applications.

Thanks

12. MikeNAS

MikeNAS Registered Member

13. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks but I did not find anything useful here.

14. MikeNAS

MikeNAS Registered Member

15. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks, it made some sense BTW.

16. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

MikeNas,Aigle, SOlcroft

What can you make out of this info. I only understand that the improvements of 3.5 will be so good it wil problably be called 4.0

o_O

Last edited: Jan 23, 2008
  17. aigle

aigle Registered Member

All i can see that there are some more filters, more interceptions that were probably missing from previous version. Also they comapred to CFP at the end I think, seems they beliece CFP Defenc+ as competitor.

Just my guesses, asac pop ups are stil chineese.

18. chris2busy

chris2busy Registered Member

make a clean setup,switch eqsecure to learning mode and open all the stuff you usually work with and u are 100% sure they are clean..then switch off learning mode and you shouldn't get any alarm unless something "new" occurs ;-)

19. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Learnning mode will not work for File protection I think.

20. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Well in a way it is. D+ covers more com objects than EQS, which in Vista is handy (when you run in LUA with UAC in quiet mode), because it will give you an idea of the program requesting to elevate rights.

Only EQS without the help manual in English is ten times easier to use (Pete ;) does this qualify as an A versus B discussion, then please remove this post).

21. subset

subset Registered Member

There is a forum post perhaps about the 3.5 release.
    http://www.eqsecure.com/bbs/read.php?tid=9123&page=e#a
    A answer is "Before the Spring Festival should be released beta." (by translate.google.com...)
    So if the answer is accurate this "Spring Festival" is "Chinese New Year" at February 7, or am I completely wrong o_O

Cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.