Help with creating a suite

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by innerpeace, Apr 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Hi, I need your experience to help me make an informed decision on new programs I will have licenses for. I'm currently running XP home SP2 1 gig RAM, Firefox2 with noscript and adblock, new D-link DI 604, Comodo firewall, Avast free with Web and Standard shields, Windows Defender and Winpatrol free. My computer seems to be pretty happy, but I am still not comfortable with Defender. I run Fx, IE7 (when needed) and Winamp as a limited user via DropmyRights. I also have 9 on-demand scanners. I have disabled many services not needed. Everything I have is basically set with default settings.

I won 8 licenses at CC's contest and would like your input on any combinations that would provide good protection and play well together. I don't currently use p2p. I do like streaming music and occasionally videos. The most dangerous thing I can think of is clicking on links in a few of the security forums I visit and Google searches. I do try to use a little common sense, but you never no what's behind a link. Also, I use yahoo webmail with html off and only open attachments from known sources.

The programs I will have licenses for are:

VirusBlok ADA VBA32
    Online Armour V2
    Prevx1
    A2 Anti-Malware
    Mischel Trojanhunter
    Grisoft AVG Internet Security
    Mcafee Internet Security
    Lavasoft Adaware SE+
    (please also take in consideration) Comodo BOClean

If you need any other info, please let me know and take your time, I haven't yet recieved all the licenses. Thanks, innerpeace

2. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Hi,
    A few options

1. Simple
    Firewall: Comodo free
    HIPS: PrevX1 (web shared black and white list)
    AV-suite: Avast free or AVG Internet security (they score more or less the same, but better than McFee and VBA32)
    Forget other AntiSpyware programs (windows defender, winpatrol), run an occasional scan with Super AntiSpyware free. Due to the advanced Maware protection of AVG (former Ewido included) or Avast, WinPatrol offers little extra protection when using above set up (so why waist CPU)..

2. Best of breed
    FW: -------- (Online Armour, correction)
    HIPS: Online Armour (has got a white/blacklist to make decisions for you)
    AV: Antivir free (block the notify.exe with OA and you do not get the nag-screen of the free version)
    AT/AS: A2-Antimalware (TrojanHunter is also good, only some post have mentioned that it withdrew from a test after scoring not the results they had hoped for, that is my only reason for giving A2 just a bit more preference over TH).

Forget other AntiSpyware programs, run an occasional scan with Super AntiSpyware free. Not having an e-mail scanner is not that bad, when e-mails are written to disk or read your real time scanners will take care of this. Any malware will be signalised only a frag of a second later. OA will not allow to start executable like programs, so what is not allowed to run, can not infect your PC.

Regards K

Last edited: Apr 10, 2007
  3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi, AVG Internet security( without FW component but keep AS- I hope u can do a custom install) and OA 2( with FW) is enough. Get rid of everything else( except router of course). If u still need more, SAS free for on-demand scan only, nothing else. Keep it smart and light.
    DMR is good but I will much prefer to replace it with GeSWall free. FF or Opera both are good.

It will be a real good setup protecting u against zero day exploits/ malware.

4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Your 'protection' seems fair as it is. Why change if everything works well?
    You could though trade Windows Defender for A2.
    Or Windows Defender + Winpatrol for OA.
    Mrk

5. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I'd dump Windows Defender and WinPatrol free for A2 Antimalware.

6. innerpeace

Thanks kees1958, aigle, Mrkvonic and the Tester. I wanted to stop by to check this thread real quick and was pleasantly surprised with the creative combinations you have mentioned. I was really surprised that AVG suite was recommended. My last experience with a suite was disappointing (NIS 2006) I do have and like AVG AS free, but liked it even more as Ewido. ;)

I will be back later to see how things are going. I'm looking forward to seeing other ideas now that you have me thinking in new directions. Thank you, innerpeace

7. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Real-time:
    - AM: AVG AM (AVG Suite minus the firewall)
    - HIPS: Prevx.
    - Firewall : OA 2.

8. coldplay

coldplay Registered Member

I have almost same setups/choice you have except I use IE.
    imo:
    firewall : I use windows firewall and Prevx1 to help with outbound control.
    AV: mcafee
    AS: prevx1
    that's all you need, anyother stuff will add little close to none benefits vs noticeable system drawback

9. innerpeace

Thanks Lucas and Coldplay. I did check the AVG site and you can do a custom install without the firewall. I admit, that is a very tempting option because I like AVG AS except it loads a little slow and sometimes it doesn't update. Aigle's suggestion of AVG AV and AS with OA V2 with firewall would seem to cover everything and be simple.

I have ruled out Mcafee IS, Adaware SE+(unless their new version is better), VBA32 (I have only heard a little bit about them), Trojanhunter (I will keep this as an on-demand tool). If anybody has info on these, I will certainly listen.

I did say I wasn't in a hurry :D . So that leaves the following.
    1. OA v.2
    2. Prevx1
    3. A2 Anti-Malware
    4. AVG IS -firewall

Here is my thinking so far as categories.
    AV-- Avast, AVG, Antivir
    AS/AT/AM-- A2 or AVG AS (maybe BOClean too)
    Firewall-- OA v.2 or Comodo
    Hips-- OA v.2 or Prevx1

My yet undecided thinking is to use Avast, A2, OA v.2 (fw and hips) maybe even add Prevx1. If anyone has tried AVG Anti-Malware, I would like your input as well as anyone else's. :)

10. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Just my 2 cents worth from an Online Armor v2 user- I have tried Comodo before and it is a very good free firewall. But it is well behind OA2. Comodo has a tendency to forget rules and has an annoying feature of a heavy message warning. I certainly am no expert but OA2 is the best firewall I have used. It runs light, stealth, has web shield, keylogger detector, mail shield, program guard and a firewall. Don't miss out the chance to run this program.

11. innerpeace

Thanks acr1965, I understand that v2 is taking a while to develop. I admire that they are taking their time to 'get it right'. I also like Comodo and if I continue to use it when ver.3 comes out, I will wait for the dust to settle so to speak. I did this when going from ver. 2.3 to 2.4. From your sig. I see that you trust OA2 a lot. Thanks for your input :).

12. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Last edited: Apr 11, 2007
  13. innerpeace

Hi Kees1958, thanks for hangin' in there with me. I believe I'm going to try something before OA2 is released. I'll give it 2 weeks to a month after it's released and it's been knocked around a bit before I try it. I really want to run it as my firewall and hips combo. For now I want to try this as my real-time protection.

AV -- Avast
    Firewall -- Comodo
    AS/AM/AT -- A2
    HIPS -- Prevx1

This should provide good protection and enable me to try A2 which I strongly believe I will like and it will allow me to try Prevx1. When OA2 comes out I will run it as my firewall/hips, A2 as my AM and Avast (maybe Antivir) as my AV. There seems to be many good combos and I'm sure all will work well. I'm still open to suggestions and personal experiences with any of the software mentioned in my original post.

Thanks, innerpeace

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.