Help with Clonezilla.?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by dcrowe0050, Oct 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dcrowe0050

dcrowe0050 Registered Member

Hey guys I have been using the free version of Macrium Reflect for some time. I have always had trouble with their Linux recovery CD, it would boot up and then let me set all the options up for the restore and then when I would hit finish to apply the restore it would shutdown. I would go through this two or three times untill it would finally restore with no problems.. Getting on with it I have been searching for a replacement for Macrium and decided to try out Clonezilla. I went through the imaging backup process with no problems, and saved the image to a separate 'Backup' partition since I was just testing it. When I booted into Windows I could see the image file in my backup partition. But when I booted back into Clonezilla and selected the partition and directory that the image is located in it says their is no home/partimag in this directory. I started over and tried other directories in the partition all to the same result. Is their any Clonezilla users that could shed some insight torwards what I might have done wrong.

2. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

Hopefully someone here will know because many like CZ but in the meantime did you notice their 'how to' pages,

http://www.howtoforge.com/back-up-restore-hard-drives-and-partitions-with-clonezilla-live

3. dcrowe0050

well I went thru the How too Tutorials when I first downloaded the iso file because although I have used a couple of Imaging programs I have never used an offline solution. I will look thru it again and see, and by the way thanks for the help.

BTW: is this the final Clonezilla build?

4. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

I didn't notice any notice Dc., of it being the Final.

Which OS are you using ? because others I read about suggest these two
    are very easy to use, MR and CZ.

I have used ATI for years and it's never missed a beat on Imaging or Restoring
    on two machines, so I've had no need to try others, mind you I could never again fiddle about with partitioning, would prefer a half dozen HDD's instead,
    just in case any of them throw in the towel.

If you miss out on any help forthcoming maybe take a look at,

http://clonezilla.org/forum/

5. Shankle

Shankle Registered Member

Let me tell you what I do and maybe if you try it, it will work for you.
    Also Clonezilla has a forum you can submit questions on.

What I do to execute Clonezilla-live:
    I went up on Clonezilla and downloaded "Clonezilla-live", the ISO version.
    I then copied this to a CD. When I want to do a backup I power down my Puter
    and put in the Clonezilla CD and power up the Puter. This works flawlessly
    for me and I use the same technique to do a restore.
    Hope this is of some help.

6. dcrowe0050

Yes Shankle thank you, but I have no problems booting from a CD that part works just dandy.

7. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

I going to take a guess that you backed up a partition, make sure you use the restoreparts menu option and not restoredisk

8. yeow

yeow Registered Member

after imaging, did u move the clonezilla folder? it can be located "1-dir deep" at root>dir>here. but probably not root>dir>dir>here.

but if u saved clonezilla folder at root, i suspect u should not be selecting any directory. this i'm not sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.