help with a dumb?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Dumb_Old_Fart, Feb 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dumb_Old_Fart

Dumb_Old_Fart Infrequent Poster

ok since 8086 dos i have been and learned pc dos batch sys reg all that(hated and fought tooth and nail going from my rock solid xp to this new crap)

i never got to linux

everyone says so simple

i get so confused so many names versions linux unix and lots others

then you have even more versions of the desktop os types

i lost count, anyway i like the security like apple mac almost no infections ever

but linux whatever always takes the programming knowledge for problems or hardware that wont install lots of cases

never as plug and run as they brag that is last i knew

plus i have 20 gig or more of software now useless

i dont want to pay for all new software

am i way off and outdated or is this still true?

2. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

if you looking for linux for security reasons and ease of use than go for ubuntu (default)

try to download ubuntu iso from site and use it ubuntu from usb or dvd as a live experience

check sound ......etc just work with system for a while and see

flash plugin, and vlc you have to manually install from ubuntu software center you can install them on live dvd or usb mode and play see check things like playing video.....etc....

to install google chrome you have go to google chrome site and download and double click and install .deb

https://www.google.com/intl/en_uk/chrome/browser/

please check 32/64 bit according to your iso

if you want chromium instead of google chrome its by default within ubuntu software center

you can also see youtube videos and get idea of ubuntu linux

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  3. mack_guy911

in linux 90% software are free unless you need games or something special and you find them within ubuntu software center no need to look outside.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  4. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

5. Dumb_Old_Fart

thank you all this helps and i will start checking because im real tired of windows since pcs started forcing vista then 7 then 7 64 now its probably up to 8 or a new pc wont run

and all these versions get worse and crap i was nailed first time in my life after i was forced to win 7

yea you can fight the machine or get custom made but thats allot of driver searching

and thanks to your answers and software being free i may definitely go this route and learn it

thanks again does it pick up drivers good i looked years ago and tried one on those try before install cds tons of driver issues

is that fixed because thats what scares me having to try to program or fight drivers

sorry so many ? just want to be sure and ready for what im jumping into

thanks

6. mack_guy911

it would be more kind if you specify your hardware video card etc

as far normal drivers they are almost reloaded you dont have to install sound video.....etc the only problem comes with some times graphics card of Nvidia or ATI Radeon

i recommend you to try default with default open source drivers they are not as good as patent ones but if you are not gamer they are pretty smooth and installed by default so you can check the on live dvd or usb without installing anything on disk it give you idea

just run on usb check everything on live mode if it work good on your hardware sound video...............etc give it a shot..........

7. Dumb_Old_Fart

thanks allot i will try usb

my hardware i got one of those stupid all in the monitor

in my eyes a laptop most parts are laptop

wife wanted the thing no me

its a hp e2 vision amd and amd dual core processor

come to think it may not work this is one of those different fancy displays it dims after a few of inactive

and other hp driver only functions

here is the model hp omni 120

o well try the usb any way

thanks for all the answers and ideas

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.