Help, Windows Defragger Missing

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Graystoke, Jun 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

I'm running XP Home/SP2. Funny thing happened today. I was going to do a defrag of my hard drive. I went into My Computer, right clicked on my C: drive>properties>tools tab>defragment now. The defrag GUI opens, but it is basically blank. All the buttons at the bottom are blank. The File, View and Help drop down buttons are ok, but the Action drop down button is empty except for the Help option. In the first row towards the top, it shows....

C:\ NTFS 37.27 25.78 69%

Any ideas on what the heck happened? How do I get my defragger back? Do I need to do a repair using my Windows CD?

2. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Hi Graystoke,

Several similar problem's and suggested fixes here - www dot andreasroom.com/blog/archive/2004/01/18/defrag.aspx

GF

3. Graystoke

I did some of the things yesterday that were suggested, but nothing helped. I can't figure out what the heck happened. I don't defrag that often so I don't know when it happened. o_O

4. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

5. GlobalForce

Are the result's the same logging on as *System* Administrator in safe-mode?
    BTW .... which suggestion's didn't work?

GF

Last edited: Jun 26, 2006
  6. Graystoke

I tried it in safe-mode. Same results.

Sorry I didn't explain myself better. What I meant about suggestions that didn't work was, that I went to the link you provided, and tried the suggestions that were offered there. I had no luck.

What ever caused the Windows defrag tool GUI to be blank is the mystery. I've given up trying to figure that out. I have just installed the trial version of Diskeeper. It seems to be pretty similar to Windows defrag tool. I'll go with that for now.

Thanks everyone for responding to my mystery of the disappearing defrag GUI. :)

7. GlobalForce

Sometime's the MMC get's messed up. What I'd personally try before throwing in the towel would be to create a new console snap-in. Your previous may have been damaged (this is Windows remember). Dblchk services that the "DCOM Server Process Launcher" is set to automatic and that it's running. That you've been using Diskeeper you might if giving this a try re-register those dll's, finishing with the rt clk install of dfrg.inf
    (although it was suggested the latter alone was sufficient enough).

IMO, honorable mention's in case you didn't browse the whole link, or for anyone else having the same trouble's reading this.

Again .... thanks to Andreas and all involved for sharing their comment's.
    PS - Don't mind me Graystoke .... I'm never content when thread's go unresolved!

~~~

"Alternate Free Defragmentation Utilities"
    http://www.thefreecountry.com/utilities/defragmentation.shtml

GF

8. Graystoke

Hi GlobalForce.

I uninstalled Diskeeper. I followed your instructions, but still a blank GUI. I added a screen shot to show you what the GUI looks like. Hope this works.

Attached Files:

9. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

I had a similar issue, though with an other program. The cause in my case was that CrapCleaner washed out a Verdana font issue. After restoring this the GUI went back to normal.
    Could that be the cause here?

Gerard

10. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: Have you installed Diskkeeper and then uninstalled? If the answer is YES, then you are not alone; You may aware that Window's Defragger was originally designed by Raxco(the keeper of Diskkeeper) and adopted by Window XP. I later learned that you NEED to disable Diskkeeper's process thru task mgr prior to deletling or you NEDD to delelte it in SAFE MODE. I have no chance to confirm it, because it was too late for me, I spent the next 4 hours to reinstall the whole system. This wont happen again, because I have FD-ISR now.

11. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

12. Graystoke

Ahh. I did install the trial version of Diskeeper a couple of months ago. When I saw that it was very similar to Windows' defrag tool, I uninstalled it after I ran a defrag with it. Since I ran a defrag with that Diskeeper trial, I didn't see a need to open the Windows' defrag tool at that time. I haven't opened the Windows' defrag tool until the other day when I saw the fonts missing. Maybe that is what happened. When I uninstalled Diskeeper, the Windows' defragger went with it. Bummer. :cautious:

Thanks Perman.

13. Graystoke

I've tried that. It doesn't seem to want to work on my system. I did the command prompt. I went to dfrg.inf, right clicked it, clicked on installed. I got an Install Failed error message. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. After I enter the command prompts, is there correct way to close the command prompt window? Sorry if this is a dumb question. I don't use command prompt often.

14. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

This should show the Microsoft defrag utility.

Start, Administrative Tools, Computer Management. Expand Storage and select Disk Defragmenter

15. Graystoke

No Disk Defragmenter listed. Only Disk Management. I'm beginning to think this is a lost cause. :doubt:

16. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Did you register the two dll files as in Tony's post? You should get a confirmation message after registering each one.

17. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

18. Graystoke

Yes I did. I got the confirmation message after each one. After I type in the dll files in the command prompt window, and get the confirmation message, how do I close the command prompt window? Do I just click on the "X" at the top right?

19. GlobalForce

To close the prompt type: exit

20. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

The good news is, there are plenty of other defrag programs out there that are way better than the one that comes with Windows.

21. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Have you run scandisk lately?

22. GlobalForce

Hey, but open it back up a sec .... I'd like you to try something that was mentioned on that earlier link about chkdsk.

Type: fsutil dirty set c: > enter if C: is the correct drive letter.
    If your using an NTFS file system type: chkntfs /c c: > enter. This allow's chkdsk to run at next boot on a volume regardless whether it's dirty or not.

You can answer us both (Ron and myself), I think we're on the same page. :D

GF

23. Graystoke

Thanks GlobalForce. I tried typing Stop, End, Escape. Didn't even think of Exit. :rolleyes:

ronjor.....Yes, I ran a scandisk yesterday.

My head is hurting. :p I'm going to install Diskeeper.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate you taking the time to help me out. :)

24. GlobalForce

Does this mean it's over .... NO solution fix!? :eek::D;)

GF

25. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

THIS IS INCORRECT. Raxco is the maker of PerfectDisk. Executive Software, or whatever they call themselves nowadays, are the makers of Diskkeeper.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.