Help whats the best complete security set up I should put together

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Jayloko, Jan 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scott1256ca

scott1256ca Registered Member

I think Johnny123 and tlu offered the best starting positions. It is almost amazing how few of the new exploits discussed on wilders would get past the LUA/SRP starting point.
    Next I would turn off autoruns on all devices.
    Consider changing your dns server to one that tries to block malware sites (clearcloud, norton, opendns, comodo are the ones I'm familiar with).

At this point you have protected yourself well, and you will be running no extra programs (except maybe surun) and using no extra cpu cycles or memory (again, except maybe surun).

You may find it a bit annoying to run in a limited account if you are one who installs a lot of software, but I'd try to spend a few days living with it before I turned back. IMO it really is one of the best protections you'll find.

I'd next pick a decent firewall. There are several to choose from. Many come with a classical HIPS now. Which one works best for you depends on you and your habits/desires.
    After that, then investigate the sandboxing utilities already mentioned, or perhaps switch to srware iron for your browsing.
    Depending on what firewall and sandboxing you have chosen or not chosen may determine what other anti-malware, if any, you think you need. If your firewall has no HIPS, you may want to chose a HIPS or behaviour blocker of some kind. Many of the anti-malware programs have HIPS or BB built in now.

2. Rivalen

Rivalen Registered Member

Used free Antivir with Defensewall since DW beta days. Easy to use and nothing ever passed that. But I am fairly safe user. Now with x64 DW is out - sadly.

Best Regards

3. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

Bufferzone (free or paid) or some other sandbox type program. I love BZ.

With MBAM and Hitman Pro - full scan weekly and a quick scan if I feel the need, I feel secure.

4. AdamL

AdamL Registered Member

Where can I get more details on this?

5. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    Almost everything else was already mentioned here. :D But, the truth is, the best "complete security" setup do not exist. It is just an imagination, coz cyber-criminals always thinks of new ways how to attack pc users. So the latest security set-ups today may become immediately "obsolete" tomorrow. o_O

Sandboxie could be one of the best, for the first line of defense, but still it's just a computer program that can also be exploited ...who knows.

I uses Sandboxie in the past but I find it a little bit uncomfortable for me to use, etc...etc...so I change with other programs that makes me more comfortable with...and also secured and was updated.

The best "complete security" set-up that you could use is no other than the most under-used asset of all... the brain. :cool:

6. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Add Secunia or SUMo, and you're all set.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.