Help Wanted - copying HD to HD

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by goldstroke, Nov 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goldstroke

goldstroke Registered Member

I'm new to Acronis, I've just installed 9.0. I have 7 laptops and 5 Desktops at work. I have one of each setup the way I need it, now I need to setup the other laptops exactly the same, there all running XP-Pro, same models. I also need to do the same with the desktops. Can someone explain how to go about this with Acronis 9.0 that I just purchased? in lamens terms. Do I need to backup the originals, or Clone them or what. Thanks

2. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

If I understand your post correctly then my impression is that you are using the wrong tool for the task that you want to accomplish.

Windows PE may be a more appropriate utility. You can find details here:

http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/sa/benefits/winpe.mspx

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/winpreinst/default.mspx

That does not mean that you have wasted your money on ATI. ATI is still the defacto standard utility for backups and disaster recovery. Windows PE is the preferred tool for deployment.

3. jaycee

jaycee Registered Member

Hi,

I understand you want to deploy the image you've made to all PCs and laptops.

First you need a license per machine.
    Second you'll need a tool called "NewSID" from www.sysinternals.com (freeware) to change computer name and Security ID (SID)

You save your image on a network share or an external USB HardDrive, you boot the Acronis Rescue CD and choose restore.
    Once image is restored, you launch the NewSID software to avoid having same name/SID all over.

Be careful that you may have problems with OEM versions of Windows that require activation sometimes.

Good work,

Jaycee

4. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

From here on this discussion assumes that goldstroke has FPP licenses and not OEM licenses for XP.......

Hi Jaycee

Wouldn't you first have to prepare the "Master" installation using Sysprep?

o_O

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello goldstroke,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please note that you can accomplish your goals with Acronis True Image, however, for the deployment purposes I would recommend that you use another Acronis product: Acronis Snap Deploy 2.0. Acronis Snap Deploy 2.0 is a comprehensive deployment solution that enables you to deploy new machines quickly and easily. Acronis Snap Deploy 2.0 allows you to create an exact disk image of the standard configuration (master image), including the operating system and all applications and then deploy that image to multiple systems simultaneously.

You can find the detailed instructions on how to use Acronis Snap Deploy 2.0 in the respective User's Guide.

We recommend you to download and install the free trial version of Acronis Snap Deploy 2.0 to see how the software works on your computer.

Please visit Acronis online store to purchase the full version of the product. Note that we have a flexible system of discounts and the amount of the discount varies depending on the number of copies you want to purchase. In case you are planning to purchase many copies (10 or more), please contact our Sales Team by filling up the Volume License Request form available at the Purchase Acronis Corporate Solutions page of Acronis web site.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.