Help w/Vista Folders Transfer

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by pratzert, Feb 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pratzert

pratzert Registered Member

HELP ! I had a new laption running Vista that went kaput. Before returning it for a replacement, I "Copied" the 11 "Personal User Folders" onto my external backup drive thinking all would be fine. I have lots and lots of files in these folders with mp3's movies, photos etc. as these folders are essentially the Vista version of "MyDocuments" which is in XP.

When I got my replacement laptop ( also running Vista ) I assumed I would just copy over all the personal folders onto the new laptop. But for some reason, everytime I have tried it ( 4 times now ) the new laptop freezes and I have had to do a complete "System Restore" to the original factory condition from the emergency partition backup.

Question 1.) Why do I see my user name TWICE.... once under "Desktop" and again under the C: drive under "Users" ?

Which one of these two should I be trying to copy the folders/files into ? One or both ?

In the process of copying the folders, it asks me if I want to merge/copy etc the "ini" files too, which I have answered yes to.

Would this work better if I just tried to copy the actual files out of my old folders into the new folder on the laptop of the same name instead of the entire folder ?

I thought the "ini" files were the preferences and would not be a problem to copy. I don't mind having to reset to preference again if that is what I need to do.

So... I am stuck.... I can't bear the thought of having to do another system restore ( which takes an hour ) to get my files onto the new laptop.

I know you all are muich smarter than I about these things.

Can you help a lost soul... please o_O

Thanks, Tim

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  2. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

3. pratzert

Thanks for the info and links. You may be correct that the same User Name I am seein gunder the "Desktop" is a "Junction Point" and not the real user location info. It may be a mirror of the user folders and files.

Perhaps I should just copy the actual files into each folder category without moving or overwriting any "ini" files. What I don't know, is what information is actually in each "ini" file. Does it contain a "pointer" to an actual program for the type of tile along with other preferences info ?

Tim

4. AKAJohnDoe

You should generally be able to copy the entire C:\USERS\username\ folder back, although it may gripe about the registry hives ...

I have done it before.

5. pratzert

That's what I thought. But I did copy the folder back to BOTH locations.... the User Name in the "Desktop" and the User Name in the actual "Users" directory.

I may try copying/overwriting the folders in ONLY the UserName under the Users Directory and see what happens.

It's just that I am getting tired of doing this darn system restore.

Tim

6. AKAJohnDoe

I would restore, once again, then copy only into the C:\USERS\username folder, not into both locations

7. pratzert

I've got a brand new clean "Restore" on the laptop waiting for my next move.

I'll go ahead and copy over the folders into the C:\USERS\username folder and hold my breath.

Thanks, Tim

8. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

On a similar note, Vista has a hidden "Documents and Settings" folder which is used for compatibility with older programs by "pointing" the data to the new \User\ folders. For example, when you install a video editing program it may look for \Documents and Settings\[user]\My Videos to store vids by default. Vista's hidden D&S (this folder is unaccessable as it only contains "pointers") redirects it to save it into \User\[user]\Videos instead. The video program is obvious to all of this so everything works as before.

Aka's advice should work for you.

9. pratzert

Thanks for the input.

I'll give it a go when I get home tonight.

It sounds like You guys have led me in the right direction.

I was concerned about the ini files, but in retrospect, it must have been the fact that I was copying the folder to both "User" accounts and screwed it up somehow.

I'll let you know how I make out.

Tim

10. AKAJohnDoe

That is exactly what a Junction Point is; a pointer redirecting to another location.

11. pratzert

As promised... here is my report.

I moved all of the 11 personal folders INCLUDING any "ini" files from my external drive where I saved them to the new laptop.

All the pictures, music, videos, etc, seemed to show up and run OK.

But, when I rebooted, the darn thing froze once again.

So, I went into the system restore and did a System REPAIR and not a RESTORE.

It could not repair the problem, but the error log reported that I may have connected some sort of new hardware to the laptop which interfered with it booting properly.

I had, in fact, hooked up a mouse and the external hard drive. SO I disconnected them both and rebooted without any problems at all.

I was subsequently able to reconnect both the mouse and external drive and boot without a problem as well.

So.... I have no idea what the heck happened, but it's now working as it should. I guess it's just "one of those things".

Thanks again for your help and suggestions.

Tim

12. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

Tim, maybe not copying the INI files next time will help. I don't remember if I have ever included them or not since I got a home server doing my backups for a while now. Since they were configured for the old computer the new one probably couldn't digest them, lol.

13. pratzert

I was torn between copying them over or not.... and decided I would go ahead since they were configured the way we wanted things to appear.

But if I didn't get it to work, moving over ONLY the actual data files and not the "ini" files was the next try.

Thanks for the help.

Tim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.