Help. TI 8 backup makes 2700 tiny files before I stop it.

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by marliz, Dec 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marliz

marliz Registered Member

First time I've had a problem splitting files. I entered 4200 mb (a I've always done) and True image 8 seems to be doing it's thing very slowly. Finally I use Task Manager to end it and find the backup folder has over 27 thousand little tib files. I uninstalled and re-installed. Same problem only I didn't let it make so many files.

I went back this time to check and found out TI was changing the size I entered. I couldn't get it to leave the size at 4 gb. So I uninstalled and installed my copy of TI 9, the most recent update. Can't make a rescue disk as mentioned in another file.

In case I want to go back to version 8, can anyone advise me as to what's happening with the split file problem?

Thanks,
    Marliz

2. GroomLake

GroomLake Registered Member

What kind of backup are you doing and where are the files being stored?

3. marliz

marliz Registered Member

Full backup, splitting it to fit on DVD to archive. I made a folder on my laptop hard drive (only one drive) to save the backup. Intended to move it to my external drive (which TI "sees" ok) and then save to DVDs also.

4. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Try 4200MB with no space. Actually 4475MB should fit as well.

5. marliz

marliz Registered Member

I tried that also. Still had the same problem.

I have been splitting on the low side after I couldn't fit the files on my dvd blank once. Couldn't remember what size didn't fit so I erred on the side of going smaller. I'll try your suggestion as to size.

Right now I'm "talking" with the people at ShadowProtect. I need to know if I can load a copy on my computer that's not connected to the internet. If that's a go, I'm going to splurge.

I'm really tired of the problems I've had lately with TI. It restored my laptop for me, but it needed to be restored because trying to use the Secure area messed it up in the first place. Not to mention the phantom tib file that kept me from defragging -- which was what brought me this board in the first place -- one good thing anyhow. :)

6. grnxnm

grnxnm Registered Member

ShadowProtect does not require internet connectivity, even if you decide to purchase and activate ShadowProtect. ShadowProtect's activation dialog has an offline mode. You will need access to some machine that has internet access in order to obtain your activation key from StorageCraft's website, but the computer on which ShadowProtect is installed does not need internet connectivity.

The best option is probably to try out ShadowProtect for free for 30 days. The trial is fully functional for 30 days and again requires no internet connectivity. If you wish to restore system volume images during your trial period, then you should request a full evaluation of ShadowProtect which will include the bootable recovery environment CD .ISO. To make this request you must fill out an online form:

For desktop edition:

http://www.storagecraft.com/products/ShadowProtectDesktop/Desktopedevalrequest.asp

For server edition:

http://www.storagecraft.com/products/ShadowProtectServer/Serveredevalrequest.asp

7. marliz

marliz Registered Member

Thank you for the info. The support group at ShadowProtect didn't answer my email of two days ago with the answer. As a result I'm concerned that their support might be as flighty as that of Acronis.

I'll ask on the regular Wilders Forum about ShadowProtect's support quality.

Thanks!
    Marliz

8. grnxnm

grnxnm Registered Member

That's odd. I work for StorageCraft and I know that our support guys are usually very responsive. We had an issue a couple of months ago where our forum wasn't sending auto-notifications of new posts, and this caused some problems, but I haven't heard any users complain about unresponsiveness since then. I'll ask the support guys if they've perhaps missed an email. You can also post questions on the StorageCraft forums:

http://forums.storagecraft.com/forums/

9. marliz

marliz Registered Member

You are right. Up until my last email, I was very impressed with the support and after I thought about it, realized it was likely the busy time of the year that delayed the last answer. Then I didn't get back online myself until today. Found a very helpful response from them.

Now I'm hoping I will be approved for a full evaluation copy so I can be sure it works on my equipment and I think ShadowProtect will be at the top of my list.

Marliz

10. marliz

marliz Registered Member

TI 9 did the same thing on my laptop as version 8. Since I used a full restore something seems to be causing a problem with the splitting files manually feature. Seems to be a weird unusual problem since I haven't heard of anyone else having it.

I didn't get any help from Acronis on the phantom tib file that kept Windows from defragging. After the first canned response they ignored my problem. So I haven't asked their support about it. Will be happy to move on to a different program.

Marliz

11. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

Have you tried the rescue disk to see if you get the same results?
    May be worth a try.

12. marliz

marliz Registered Member

Yes, I tried, but my drive was grayed out. The only drive showing as available to backup when booting with the rescue disk was my external drive. I forget what the message was as to why the drive was not selectable, but it can be backed up with TI when I'm in Windows. Weird.
    Marliz

13. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Marliz,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please be aware that starting with the build 3625 Acronis True Image 9.0 Home includes direct DVD writing ability (no third party software needed). Therefore, I would recommend that you download and install the latest build (3854) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home and see how it works on your computer. To get access to updates you should first register your software.

As for the issue with archive-splitting option, please make a screen shots of your consequent steps taken during the image archive creation (including archive splitting option window). Please also create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please also send us the log file from Acronis True Image 9.0 Home that contains the image creation results. In order to do so please do the following:

- run the program;

- select Show log on the toolbar or from the Tools menu;

- select the log with error messages;

- click "Save the log entry to file" (the diskette icon)

As for the issue with Acronis True Image 9.0 Home Bootable CD, please explain your step-by-step actions which you took that led you to this issue. Please use a digital camera to make shots of the screens, if possible. Also create Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Could you please let us know your Acronis request # (e.g. [Acronis #123456]) which was sent to you in autoreply to your letter? We will find out the reason for the delay. If you have not received an autoreply then please send us a Private Message containing your e-mail address.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

14. marliz

marliz Registered Member

Aleksandr, I am going in for surgery and will not be able to work at my computer for awhile. I was using build 3854. Actually waited until that build to move from version 8 to version 9 because so many seemed to have problems with 9.

When I am back on my feet I will try to follow both your emails (the other one was on another post). Thank you!

15. marliz

marliz Registered Member

Forgot to mention that I had the same problem with both versions 8 and 9. Am looking forward to the time I can try get TI up and working.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.