Help TI 10 wanting volume 1 but why? where?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Riley333, Jan 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Riley333

Riley333 Registered Member

I need to restore my C drive that I have backed up on a external drive, everytime I try to restore it, it starts, then it asks for volume 1, and there is only one full backed up volume. What could it be looking for?

Please help.
    :'(
    Thanks, Riley

2. Riley333

OK, this really sucks. Apparently when doing a incremental backup it creates huge mulitvolume backups instead of just doing a incremental backup. Wow, I'm begining to think all of my data is gone.

:'(

3. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

This is a bit confusing ... I thought you said, "there is only one full backed up volume." What version and build of TI are you using?

4. Riley333

I can see how it would be confusing. I did a full back up of my c drive and the .tib file was 14GB, then I started doing incremental backups based on the original and I could see that it was 14+GB also. So I thought that the new file was the full backup plus the changes. I'm now finding out that it needs all of these big 14GB files to restore. I didn't want a a bunch of 14GB files using up HD space everytime I did a incremental back up so I deleted the old ones.
    It seems I needed to save all of these big files in order to have the latest incremental backup. That doesn't seem logical but I think that's they way it works. I'm still waiting to hear from tech support.

Thanks, Riley

5. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

An incremental relies on having the full backup and every intermediate backup up to the last one you want to restore.

Normally when people have incrementals the size of the full backup or larger is because a defragging program has run since the last backup was done. An imaging program looks at an in-use sector map not the file system so a sector that is moved looks like a change to an imaging program even though the file data is still unchanged.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.