Help sought with KIS/KAV

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by volvic, Aug 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. volvic

volvic Registered Member

I have a reasonably fast PC, AMD athlon 64bit and 2 gb ram, running win xp sp3 but both KIS and KAV cause my machine to slow down so badly that the machine is unusable (within seconds of loading up) and the only way around is to uninstall it.

Any ideas?

For now, I am with Nod32, but I find KAV/KIS's detection rates to be better!!

2. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Do you have any additional security/filtering type applications running? Any other software source of conflict?

In general, I dial back the Web AV (and related modules) when performance is an issue.

Blue

3. sourav_gho

sourav_gho Registered Member

Hi,
    Along with blue zannetti's question
    Which version of KIS/KAV r u using?

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

have you posted at the kaspersky forum?
    if not i think you should. they maybe able to find the conflict.

5. volvic

volvic Registered Member

First tried the 2009, then 2010 version. Tried KAV as a last resort.
    Other programs are: admuncher, outpost, mbam. that's it.

No I haven't posted over there; as I have uninstalled it. Bought a NOD32 business pack instead. But when that expires next year would consider trying KAV again, if I can work out what the issue is...

6. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

please make KIS run in defaut mode or with little tweak if you make it running all real time scanning options in high setting which are no needed it make your system slow

7. sourav_gho

U r using outpost kaspersky might have some compatibility issues with it. try to uninstall everything including kaspersky. then do a fresh install of kaspersky and see if that helps, otherwise if you post at the forum, the guys there might be able to help you out

8. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

Hello volvic;

My P-4 Prescott 630 (3.0ghz) with 4GB Ram has no problem running XP/SP 2 with either KAV or KIS 2009 with the highest detection settings, and I also had no problem with KIS 2010 although I only tried it for about one day.

Have you opened Task Manager and looked at the running processes ?
    Perhaps that will give a clue as to what might be consuming an inordinate amount of resources.

9. lordpake

lordpake Registered Member

As OP didn't take this any further we are left wondering did the system have any leftovers from prior installations of security software, and what exactly was Outpost's role in this situation.

10. volvic

volvic Registered Member

Shall try a fresh install of XP tomorrow and report back.

11. hawki

hawki Registered Member

You are not alone. Several peeps with 64 bit operating systems have reported similar problems with KIS/KAV 2010. There is currently a thread on the first page of the Kaspersky Home User Forum by someone withe the exact same problem on a 64 bit system. So far no one has been able to solve his problem.

I run KIS 2010 with Vista 64x. I have no problem with my machine being slowed down by on-access scanning. I DO have a major problem with doing a full scan. A full scan with KIS 2010 on my system is currently taking at least 6 hours to scan 180 gigs. KIS 2009 would scan the same files in 45 minutes. Also, my system is pretty much unuseable for anything else when running a full scan. Many other 64x OS users have reported on the Kaspersky forum a similar problem with on demand scanning with KIS 2010.

12. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

The OP is running xp sp3, thats gotta be 32 bit.

Edit: I am glad you posted that though, because I have Vistax64 and was considering trying it on mine. I may hold off now.

13. hawki

hawki Registered Member

oOps :-O

my bad

I got thrown by "AMD athlon 64bit"

14. sourav_gho

Hi,
    Could you please post your issues on kaspersky's forum they are on beta of critical fix 2 so problems related to 64 bit will be rectified if you post along with traces on their forums....

15. lodore

lodore Registered Member

works fine here on 64bit vista.

16. hawki

hawki Registered Member

How are your scan times?

Some peeps with 64 bit have problems and others do not and no one has been able to figure out why.

17. hawki

hawki Registered Member

I have done that. I posted an original thread and in threads where 64 bit peeps report the problem I post and say I have the same problem. The moderators over there apparently do no like that. They took all of my "me too" posts, removed them from the threads I originally posted in, and consolidated them into a new thread which they buried. They consolidated them into my first post on the subject so the date is old and the thread is like somewhere between pages 40-70 of the forum where no one will see it now.

I think it upset them when I posted into a thread that "It should be clear by now to anyone who follows this forum that there are some issues with KIS 2010 and Vista 64x." :) There are maybe at least a hundred threads over there now by peeps reporting issues with Vista 64x and KIS 2010. Almost all of these posts report either a very slow machine or very long scan times. I had no problems with KIS 2009.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2009
  18. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I'll second this, works for me on 64 bit Vista and 7. Maybe you should try the Kaspersky GSI parser and see if it finds any problems. http://www.getsysteminfo.com/

19. trjam

trjam Registered Member

funny thing about the Kaspersky users and lack of posts here, and I know quite a few. I think for the most part, they are totaly happy with 2010, regardless of what some want you to think. Kind of like my avatar.;)

20. volvic

volvic Registered Member

whatever trjam. may be kaspersky have their own forum has something to do with it.

i have done a fresh install of xp, and put KIS 2009 on (NOT 2010) and it seems fine. The update though takes forever as the download speed of the kaspersky server is very slow indeed...

21. sourav_gho

Hey buddy... The times have now changed while posting be subjective post the GSI LOGS + TRACES along with a brief description(don't give any comment what happened in the past and u r unhappy etc.), now they are releasing critical fix 2, it is the best time to post, ur problem then might be fixed. Please post in the "performance and compatibility" thread.
    As you told me u had no issues with KIS 2009, then ur system can run KIS with same ease, then KIS 2010 shuld run even better, its most probably some bugs.

PS: When they were releasing critical fix 1 I also had issues with build 459 like BSOD and system instability while running GOM player and Winamp, i posted traces along with details, these problems were rectified in build 463 i.e. CF1 , this build runs better on my system than v2009 :)

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  22. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

Have you tried Kaspersky v2010?

23. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Its quite similar to other AV's and Suites that have issues with peoples systems. To narrow it down to one single item is searching for a elusive needle in the haystack statement. It all depends on what other software programs you have installed also. KIS runs fine on my Xp system, but slugishly on my Vista system (so be it..) but I'm damned if I'm going to uninstall expensive software just to satisfy another softwares compatibilty. Selective choice is whats needed, and careful consideration to what you actually want to listen to, your own personal judgement, or ever man and his dog who rant and rave on who is better than who :cautious:

24. sourav_gho

My friend,
    Why r u getting angry? It was only my suggestion. Anyways new sets of testing is being done now to release critical fix 2, to bring more compatibility and stability in v2010, lots of bugs are collected, developers are doing their best. Hopefully the new stable CF2 might fix ur issues as well :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.