HELP required on True Image V.8

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by bospeen, Jun 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bospeen

bospeen Registered Member

Hi, I'm new here and I hope someone can help me. I have never used any of Acronis products so I downloaded the trail version of True Image V.8.
    The first time I did the full backup on all the drives of my Acer 8204 laptop and out of 13 CDs it required to do the backup, on the 8th CD an error message showed up saying Backup has failed. o_O Not knowing why nor how to deal with this, I abandoned the CD full backup.
    The next day I started to do a full image backup. This time, only on the drive C for the full backup and unfortunately, I did the backup to drive D, an error made by me. When I realised this, I stopped the backup when it was almost at the end.:'(
    I have no idea how I can delete this backup so I can restore my drive D back to how it was before the backup. Can someone help me out here please? I'm worried that I'm going to delete the wrong things and make a big mess of my Acer 8204 which also have hidden partitions and I don't know if that is in drive D.
    I haven't been lucky at all since trying this and I find the manual which shows on the screen unhelpful when comes to problems. Hence, I'm here hoping someone can help me out and if you could give me "step by step" instructions in "plain" English. Thanking you in advance.

bospeen

2. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

If you did a disk/partition image backup (not a clone), then the D: drive should contain a file with a .tib extension (MyBackup.tib for example). This is just a file like any other and can be deleted.
    If it is not there, it could be that whatever had been written was deleted by TI when you canceled the backup.

3. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Try doing a file search for
    *.TIB
    and search both drives.

Any files you find would be part of the Acronis backup and could be deleted if desired.

The current version is version 9, build 3,633. Backing up to CD or DVD is in-consistent. You might want to consider an external hard drive--if you have a usb port, etc.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello bospeen,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

As it was said above, when Acronis True Image creates an image, the program creates just a file with .tib extension. You can perform any actions (copy, delete etc.) with this file as usual.

Please note that if you cancel the image creation, .tib file will not be created.

You can find more information on how to use Acronis True Image in the respective User's Guide.

Please download and install the trial version of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home at http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/download/trueimage/ and see whether the problem still persists.

Please let us know your results.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

5. bospeen

Thank you all for your replies and I will get one with what has been said. So, am I right to understand that the files written on my D drive will have .tib files in there and I open up my D drive and just delete those files normally then my D drive will be back to how it was before I did the full image backup? Forgive me if I sound a bit of an idiot but this is all new to me.
    Thanks!

bospeen

6. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

As written by the Acronis support:
    Note that they do say you can perform any action (delete) on any file with .tib

My posting above gave you an illustration of how you can find the Acronis True Image Backup files by searching for *.tib and for you to search both C drive and D drive. If you have NO valid "tib" files you wish to keep, then you can delete any you find.

Note also that Acrons Support indicated that if you cancelled the backup, then no "tib" files were created.

Note: If it is your intention to backup to an external drive, then perform an additional chore of splitting the backup files into cd or dvd sizes unit so that you can also perform a copy from external hard drive to a CD or DVD. This would ensure one more safety factor should the external drive fail or become corrupted. Much has been written on this forum about the need for additional safety in having multiple backups on multiple devices. Read some of the postings and you will see the pleas for help because all their backups eggs was in one basket. This is one sample link which expresses the need for alternate copies of your backup.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=132574#23

Last edited: Jun 10, 2006
  7. bospeen

Here I am again and I did a search on drive C & D for .tib files and it found 2 of those files - one in my drive C and the other in drive D. Both shows demo and I don't know if I should delete them or just delete the one in drive D since as I don't have anything there in the first place (not that I know of anyway plus my laptop being almost new and haven't had time to explore it but I have only downloaded this TI V.8 trail). Bear in mind that I did do the second full backup image again but in drive D with the Secure Zone there which I deleted when I realised I made an big blunder on things.
    Please let me know if it will be alright for me to delete both of them or just delete the one in drive D?

The other thing is when I use TI 8 to do the backup again, and click my drive D, it shows me the things that are in drive C so I'm very confuse here. I would appreciate if someone can explain how comes the stuff in drive C like "My computer", "Program files", etc are also in drive D using TI 8 and when I do a search on drive D for those names, it only shows that they are in drive C, not in drive D?? o_O
    Thanks!

bospeen

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello bospeen,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please clarify what "demo" means in your case?

It's up to you. You can delete both image files and create the new ones.

Could you please make screen shots all of your steps during the image creation?

If you are not familiar with making screen shots, please read the below step-by-step instructions.

- Get to the window which you want to make a screen shot of;
    - Hit the (Alt+)PrintScreen button on your keyboard;
    - Run Paint usually available in Start\Programs\Accessories or another graphics application;
    - Choose Paste command in Edit menu;
    - Save the result picture with JPEG format being preferable.

Please submit a request for technical support using Ask a question before you purchase Acronis software link. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution as soon as possible.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.