[Help]Problem about the USB-Booting failure.

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Clancy, Nov 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clancy

Clancy Registered Member

My laptop PC is using the CDROM connected through a USB2IDE cable, when I tried to boot the PC from Acronis rescue CD, the following error message appears:

Acronis Loader fatal error: Boot drive (partition) not found.
    Press <Enter> to try to boot your OS.

After i press <enter>, the same message appears again, so I can't boot from the rescue CD completely, however I can use the rescue CD to bootup my desktop PC, which uses a normal IDE CDROM.

The CDROM using on my laptop PC is TEAC CD-224E.

Can anyone help me about this?

Thank you.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

3. fgard

fgard Registered Member

I have a similar problem with my laptop and TI 8. I haven't been able to clone the C: drive (even though TI says the cloning was successful after only a few seconds).

I am using an external USB CD-RW and am trying to clone a 40 GB Toshiba C: drive to a new 100GB Toshiba drive in a USB carrier. I thought I would be able to swap the new cloned drive with the old drive but the new drive will not boot.

When I try to boot from the TI bootable rescue CD (my laptop has no 3.5 floppy), after the "Initializing boot USB CD-ROM -ATAPI CD-r52 boot CD-ROM type: No emulation booting" message, I get "Starting Acronis Loader... Acronis Loader fatal error: boot drive (partition) not found. Press enter to try to boot your OS..." I've also made multiple rescue CDs.

I have run ckdsk on the new drive and can make it a logical drive and create a TI image on it (not clone). However, every time I repartition it with TI, reclone it, and swap it, it does not boot.

The reply post only suggests sending email to TI support without any answer to problem. Has anyone else seen this or know of a solutiono_O

4. Acronis Support

Hello fgard,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please do the following:

- Download Acronis Report utility from http://www.acronis.com/files/support/AcronisReport.exe;
    - Run Acronis Report utility and select the "Create bootable floppy" option;
    - Insert a blank floppy disk in the floppy drive and proceed with creating the bootable diskette;
    - Clone the drive once again, then replace the old drive with the new one;
    - Boot the computer under consideration from this diskette and wait for report creation process to complete;
    - Send the report.txt file from the floppy disk to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread.

If you haven't got a floppy drive in the laptop please plug-in both drives, boot with the old one, run the Acronis Report utility and choose the option "Create system report" to create the report.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

5. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Ermmm ... Support ... fgard said his laptop does not have a floppy drive ;)

fgard ... check whether your laptop bios will ALLOW the laptop to boot from the USB CD drive. Can you boot from a CD in that external for any other program? How did you make the rescue CDs ... via the USB CD or an internal CD drive?

6. Acronis Support

Hello Chutsman,

You are right, I missed that there is no floppy in the laptop. However, I gave the way how to create Acronis Report without having floppy drive since fgard is able to boot into original system.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

7. fgard

fgard Registered Member

Yes, the bios supports booting from USB CD. I created the TI rescue CD on the USB CD drive. I've also tested the CD drive for booting the laptop from bootable CDs and it boots fine.

It looks like I have 2 problems: 1. The TI rescue disk won't boot the laptop and 2. The new cloned drive won’t boot the laptop when I swap it with the old drive. While the TI clone app seems to partition the new drive OK and it reports a successful cloning after very little time or disk activity during the reboot, I can not see the drive or anything on it in Windows Explorer.

Can anyone tell me what files should be on the rescue CD? I only see a readme.txt file and a Recovery Manager folder with bootmenu, bootwiz, f11, kernel, mouse, and ramdisk files in it. Doesn’t the root of the rescue CD need an executable file in it to boot?

8. fgard

fgard Registered Member

BTW-I just checked one of the TI rescue CDs I created on my laptop USB CD in one of my desktops and it booted the machine fine. It just won't work with the USB CD on the laptop (even though other bootable CDs do work).

9. irvdk

irvdk Registered Member

I am having a similiar problem and have lost my operating system twice now. I am using a USB 80 gig HD. The sales information tell you that you can restore from a USB HD, but I think not. I tried it with and without installing secure zone. It get part way thru and then fails, telling you that the image is corrupt. The image checks out to be good. Someone needs to tell the truth...either it can work with USB or it cannot. If it can then please explain what is happening. Imaging software works fine. YOU JUST CAN"T RESTORE FROM IT. :blink:
    Irv

Last edited: Jul 24, 2005
  10. Acronis Support

Hello fgard,

As for the problem with new drive not booting, please send Acronis Report to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread. We will investigate why you cannot boot with the new drive.

As for Acronis Bootable CD please try the "acpi=off noapic" workaround described in Acronis Help Post and in case it doesn't help please make a shot of the error you get and send to us.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

11. fgard

fgard Registered Member

The F11 key doesn't do anything. I've already tried that a number of times.

My laptop is a tablet PC. I found a number of posts in the forum suggesting problems with Acronis TI and tablets. Does it work on tablet PCs?

12. LegacyUSB

LegacyUSB Guest

Re corruption problems with USB drives:

From discussions with various people (not here) we have come to the conclusion that USB drives are prone to data corruption. This is very much a matter of the USB chip. Information from my notes. I can't myself vouch for any of this information.
    ========
    Just for you to know, if you're using an external USB2 HDD (like me) the drive should be set to CS (Cable Select). This because USB chips are not very smart.
    ========
    The USB connection (although this is fairly common across a huge range of external USB housings) can corrupt data.

However, even worse is the Firewire which uses the Prolific PL3507 chipset. This is known to cause many problems.

While it should be easy in principle to daisy chain these devices (the IcyBox) in practice it is a non-starter.

There *is* a unit that I have researched sufficiently to use myself. It is an "SNT-2316C" (USB2.0 +1394) external enclosure. AKA 2316 combo.

Admittedly, it appears to be flimsy, but it's the only external box I've ever trusted.

13. Acronis Support

Hello fgard,

We regret to inform you that since Tablet PCs is very different from PCs we do not guarantee that Acronis True Image can work properly on them. I though you were talking about laptop PC before you mentioned that you had in fact Tablet PC. We will implement support for Tablet PCs in future versions of Acronis True Image.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

14. CliveS

CliveS Registered Member

I have had my fair share of problems with a Freecom 80 gig USB HD and TI has trashed my OS twice through freezes / re-boots. I reported on another thread (Interesting Observation) that TI version 903 is the only version that connects my USB HD first time, every time. Acronis really do need to look closely at the USB issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.