Help Pls! Partition 0mb after resizing

Discussion in 'Paragon Partition Manager Product Line' started by hypa3000, Jan 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hypa3000

hypa3000 Registered Member

Help Pls! WIN 7 Doesn't boot after resizing partitions

Hi

I was using Paragon Partition Manager to resize 2 partitions, it had nearly completed however it seemed to freeze on this (final ?) stage:

"Flushing system buffer. Please wait."

I was waiting approx. 45 mins , nothing seemed to be happening so then tried to cancel the operation with Escape or ctrl + c but it didn't respond so did a force restart....wondering if this messed things up...

As now my main partition which has OS Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit does not boot.

When boot from other OS on different HDD (Vista Ultimate 64 bit) it says the disk I was resizing is called 'local disk' (not previous name) and has 0mb (and asks if i want to format)

My question is -

I have the original Win 7 disc so shall I use the recovery tool to do 'Startup Repair' or shall I somehow use a different recovery method?

Thank you

Update:

On trying to boot to Win 7 it comes up with this error code:

0xc0000225

I did a search for that here and in google and so as others have suggested i've tried the 'startup repair' from the Win 7 DVD - it shows the drive which has windows 7 as 0mb..

but repair fails (i've tried at least 4 times so far),..'Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically'

i've also tried the memory diagnostic from the boot up menu which didn't find any errors on the standard test

but its still not working

downloading the Paragon Hard Disk Manager 2010 Suite - WinPE based Recovery CD Image (English) now
    and doing an extended test in the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool

UPDATE 2

Booted from the Paragon WinPE disc, not sure what to do now

In BootManager

The WIN 7 partition that doesn't boot says:

(no label) (J: ). FAT16

(In other sections the partition is marked as red and says unformatted).

In Tools>Boot Corrector>Boot Correction Wizard options are as follows:

-Windows Installation to Correct
    -Correct the Master Boot Record (MBR)
    -Edit/View Sectors
    -Correct boot parameters (boot.ini. BCD)

which one shall i go for?

UPDATE 3

i tried a few of the boot correction options and then the Win 7 boot record disappeared from the boot menu..

so now i am in Vista on different HDD partition and can see in the disk manager the effected partition is still the old previous size,
    showing file system as RAW, with the 2GB that i wanted to extend to (on the left side of the effected partition) as unallocated...

i've also tried to follow this fix that someone posted on these forums

http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/Recovering the Vista Bootloader from the DVD

but I get stuck in step 3, when trying to delete \boot\bcd

error: 'The volume does not contain a recognized file system'

So i am wondering is there a way to change the file system back?

Or is that partition doomed?

shall i just do a fresh format and install and / or try to recover data then or now (in other os) using some advanced (expensive) software tools?

or is there still chance of repairing or undoing the damage?...if so pls someone help!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  2. tgell

tgell Registered Member

3. biscuits

biscuits Registered Member

Do you have a backup of your Win 7 partition?

4. hypa3000

cool, :cool: i will have to try them out and let you know how i get on, Thank you

no :oops: afraid not...with power of hind sight thats what i would do next time :rolleyes:

i do have most important data backed up though so its not complete disaster...so i will try to use the tools above to retrieve some user files, etc. and then do a fresh install i guess

5. biscuits

Be careful with resizing system partitions too:) . It is safer to increase the size of the partition then decreasing it. Twice I tried decreasing the size of my system partition (using HDM 2009). It became unbootable on both occasions. Fixing the mbr did not help either.

6. hypa3000

i tried the Minitools Power Data Recovery, it works and its quite a slick little program however unfortunately it can only recover a part of the data and only a limited set of file types (and only in list format not directory style)

its definitely better than nothing, but i'm wondering now if is there any other data recovery software that could help either retrieve more data from RAW harddrive or perhaps from NTFS if I format it first then attempt to retrieve data

thanks Biscuits i will definitely be more careful next time!...but kind of still being positive and hoping for a fix solution maybe by the time i wake up? hehe :D

7. biscuits

Try Easeus data recovery or iCare data recovery. Check my pm:D

8. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

If you are still trying to fix this ... I suggest running the partition undelete function from the Pargon boot disc.

If you don't have a paragon boot disc to hand, the partition undelete function is included in the free http://www.paragon-software.com/home/rk-express/

9. hypa3000

hi thanks guys

just received a reply from Paragon support

i will try to Recover Lost Partitions / Undelete when get a good chance

Cheers

10. hypa3000

Partition 0mb after interupting resize partition process - FIXED NOW

it worked! My WIN 7 partition is back online and working :D

I followed the instructions as above to delete the 2 partitions (that i was attempting to resize) then recovered the 2 partitions.

It didn't take that long either.

After that i used the Win7 DVD to repair the boot up (1 attempt was enough).

All seems to be working ok now.

Thank you for all the tips and support :thumb:

Cheers

11. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Re: Partition 0mb after interupting resize partition process - FIXED NOW

Great - thanks for the update.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.