Help Please

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by WilliamP, Jul 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

I tried to do a scan. All looks good until it shows SCANNIG c\Program Files\TDS3\xDynamic\TDS3.Unpk\ then it hangs and just crunches away. After along time I stopped scan and it said it scanned 193274 files. I updated today. It shows 35749 13992 9984 117773. If I have to down load the Radius files and put them into TDS3 ,how do I do that? o_O

2. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

You have the right references with the 35749, so that file must be ok.
    Registered users press the Update Now button from the console, unregistered versions have to grab the radius from the site and drop it as it is in the TDS-3 directory, nothing to unpack or install just drop it in like that and reload TDS.
    At this moment several mirrors were updated with a corrupt version somehow, but you seem to be a lucky one with the right amount.

The Unpk folder is where copies of archives and files are unpacked and scanned -- sometimes files are not deleted after that, so you can do that manually eventually or leave them to be deleted at a next scan. Maybe there are many files there at the moment or a few large ones. But all in that Unpk folder are copies, so you can delete them without any problem.

3. WilliamP

Jooskie, I double clicked My Computer ,Program Files, TDS and went to the XDynamic file ,opened it and found TDS.Unpk. Folder. It has 1.35 Gb.in that thing. Is that the folder that I'm looking for. If it is how do I remove contents? I don't want to mess anything up. Thank you for your help. o_O

4. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

That's the folder i mean yes. You could select all inside and delete it, might be the easiest way to delete the whole folder at once and manually create a new folder there with exactly that same folder name.
    Next time delete the files earlier if necessary so it doesn't grow that large!
    I really don't know why TDS seems not to delete them on your system.
    You might find back even copies of files you maybe accidently deleted :)

5. WilliamP

The Folder was sent to the recycle bin. You know how long it took to empty the recycle bin? I created a new folder. How come my available disk space didn't increase?

6. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

How about using a Disk Cleanup to compress the recyclebin space as well again?
    Windows only deletes access to the files, not the files themselfs from your disc in general, unless you use some cleanup/ compress / wipe / ? utility.
    Think that 1,3 GB took a while; isn't shift-delete a way to delete it all at once without going via the recyclebin first?
    Occasionally defragging generally spoken will give you back lots of that kind of space too.

7. WilliamP

I have tried everything and so far can't find what happened to the space. If I don't have the space, then the files must still be on the drive and I can't find them.

8. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Hi William...

Have you tried a reboot also. That may help clear out stuff after a big deletion, as you probably know, deletion from the Recycle Bin does not mean it's gone from system, just not viewable in bin.

Also.... with a big file, I never send to rubbish bin first, as not only does it take time to transfer, but then also takes time to 'delete' from there.

Do like Jooske suggested, you hold down the Shift key, right click on the file, select delete and it will start deletion straight up, no second chances by going to Recycle Bin.

Once that's done, do a Defrag. That will clean up some stuff.
    Also you could do a Disk Cleanup to further clean up, as Jooske suggested. ;)

Cheers, TAS

9. WilliamP

These things drive my crazy. I have done everything to find out what is going on. The computer still shows the space hasn't changed. But I ran Belarc Advisor and it shows that I have allmost 1.5 GB more available space than the computer indicates. For some reason the system is not recognizing as available space

10. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi there, even after reboot and defrag?
    Hmmm windows ! @#@$!!
    In this case i'm not sure if i can recommend secure wiping of free space, i just don't know for sure this moment, as long as windows thinks different about thje space........ No, i'm not going to tell to delete the recycle bin and make a new one.
    Very frustrating, if even the Disk Cleanup on all your drives didn't work.
    Were all the different files apart in the recyclebin or just the one folder? Maybe windows has ploblems with one big file (which i had not really expected honestly said). Seems to need a kind of cleansweep program.

11. WilliamP

I went in, shut off system restore, rebooted , set a restore point and there it was . I had my disk space. I don't understand why what was supposed to be deleted got stuck there. :rolleyes:

12. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Intuitively i do understand it but how to explain..............
    Yes, it is with trojans etc too, when we ask people to delete them, to disable system restore - reboot - enable system restore and create a new restore point, and all that stuff is deleted.
    I never thought of deleted data of that size in a restore point! Glad you found it and gained back all that space!

13. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Well done William, Glad you got it sorted :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.