Help please

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by zoran, Jun 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zoran

zoran Registered Member

windows xp sp2
    Zone alarm nod32 2.5

Last couple of days my lan modem was turning off and on often.It is a cable connection.
    The Local area connection icon in the Network connection did the same.

I tried to do as it was advised by providers support,to switch modem off or to plugg the power cable out of modem and return.And it did the trick.But today when I did it,I tried to connect with firefox(which is acting strangely in many ways ,turning off,don't want to turn on,popup's...)
    and computer restarted,run chkdsk,and gave me this:
    The entry C:/system32/msconfig.xml is not valid.The entry will be truncated.

I don't know what is this file for ,but I had trouble with firefox again,but with soulseek didn't/I'm mentioning this because when modem disconnected,Soulseek was running/.

The only thing that wasn't by the book is, that I didn't block ,once I think,the 239.255.255.250:1900 adress /outgoing/,but according to Zone alarm,nothing got in.I don't use IE and none of the microsoft sharing,that I know.Soulseek's up'n'up,is turned off,and didn't connect with emule ever,because it doesen't want to /even if I let it in zone alarm/.

So what is this file and what does it do?
    And how dangerous it is to try to open opera browser( since I don't have a browser that works properly)?
    With what can I clean the registry from firefox,to reinstall it?
    And I can't download.
    The only thing that I have is System cleaner on CD/and Hijackthis1.99.1/.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2006
  2. Lamehand

Lamehand Registered Member

the Netherlands,very near to the North sea
    I've googled for this 'msconfig.xml' and can only find that msconfig.exe is a legit file.
    As far as i can see this could be something nasty, especially sinds you mentioned getting pop-ups and the browser behaving strangely.

Maybe it would be a wise step to post a hijackthis log at an antimalwareforum to check this out.

http://www.spywarewarrior.com
    or
    http://www.spywareinfoforum.com

Lamehand

3. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

That path is also not valid. Definitely something funky going on. I'd pull that machine off the internet and get it scanned with an AV first off, and also run a HijackThis log, as mentioned above.

4. zoran

zoran Registered Member

Thanks, I will and thanks for replying.
    Sorry for the delay.
    Where I can find this chkdsk log or report,anyway?
    And what alternative AV should I use?Or do I try just wih nod32
    Or do I go straight to one of this links?
    This firefox trouble is pretty old,but this stopped and now it's starting again,that is why i mentioned it.I thought it was just some glitch or something like that.
    Thanks again

5. Lamehand

Lamehand Registered Member

the Netherlands,very near to the North sea
    You can do a manual scan with NOD32 on your computer.
    To get help in removing spyware/malware you go to one of the forums i gave the links for and post a HijackThis log.
    They can assist you in removing possible malware by checking the log.

Lamehand

6. zoran

zoran Registered Member

Thank I will and thanks again

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.