Help please I'm stuck! VSS back to RSS or what?

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Laramie, Feb 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laramie

Laramie Registered Member

Hello,
    First I will say that I tried to search this forum but failed to turn up my answer (I could not find any thing even just searching for just RSS or VSS ). I have newest version FD-ISR on a brand new XP sp2 install from win2000. Tried to make new Primary using "Getting Started" option. First thing it showed was box saying something like "Finding Microsoft VSS", well, after 5 mins it still hadn't found it.
    I do have 2 snaps from my old 2000 install showing and do not need them. (1) Are they the problem? (2) Can I safely delete them? And last, and most importantly, how do I either help FD-ISR find VSS ( which I've heard mixed reports on this forum about using with FD-ISR ) or how do go back and use RSS.
    Sorry if this is long but I'm not know enough to be succint.

Thanks, Lar

2. carfal

carfal Registered Member

3. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Taken from here...

http://ftp.raxco.com/pub/download/fdisr/readme.txt

By default, VSS is now used to copy the active snapshot instead of
    RSS for Windows XP and later.

You can select which service using ISRSetup. In a Command Prompt:

cd \$ISR\$APP\Setup

ISRSetup -install -rss

(or -vss). A reboot will be required after selecting RSS.

4. Laramie

Laramie Registered Member

Thanks Guys

The way you wrote the cmd line stapp is different than what I saw on Todd's post on VSS. On his there appeared to be vertical lines between the "words" of the cmd line. Today I saw it written just as you have it so I will try it if I have to, you see i solved this problem (now I have another and was just about to open a new thread) by going into services.msc and setting VSS to "Automatic" from "Manual". Todd was surprised it worked (me too frankly, I grasping at straws) but I never thought his cmd line was either in error or I misinterpreted it. I made two backup snaps and they work. BUT...(yeah it's a big butt)...today I cannot copy/update my snaps! I get an error saying,"Internal Error 405 Contact your administrator" Have you guys seen this before? I searched all combinations past 20 mins finding 1 post but reading it didn't help my situation. I'll give this reply till tomorrow to see if I don't need to start a new thread.
    Thanks, again

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.