help on demand scan-special setup

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by larryb52, Jan 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

I just di a fresh install of vista. ESS is running well & boots fine. It seems to run well except for 'on demand scan of rar & zip compressed files. Is there a rules I can setup to do on demand scan of these, thanks in advance...

2. larryb52

it's really nice to see how helpfull the ESET folks are here. For grins & giggles I installed ESS on a buddies vista machine & surprise an on demand of compressed files had the same issue as I do it won't unpack. I wrote Marcas a PM to get some insight into this, the answer. I was ignored. I really wonder how many people just have not tried to do a on demand scan in vista or looked at a regular scan to see if it is or isn't scanning compressed files or not. I don't have that magic computer that one of a kind it's out of Best Buy & just an HP, nothing fancy. ESS has some problems here & they need to at least answer those that have supported them I have for 4 years...

3. larryb52

can somebody with vista

download a zip file & try to do a right click scan on it, see if you can complete the task, thanks

4. JasSolo

JasSolo Registered Member

Re: can somebody with vista

Hi Larry. I understand your frustration. I'll load my Vista image on my comp later, and I'll give it a try :) I post back when done, ok?

Cheers

5. The Nodder

The Nodder Registered Member

sorry, error

6. larryb52

you get an error? & thanks Jasolo...

has anybody tired a full scan & look at the details to see if the compressed files are being skipped?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2008
  7. JasSolo

JasSolo Registered Member

Sorry Larry, my Vista image is corrupted, it wont load :(. I don't wanna do a fresh install at this point, since i really don't like Vista. I can't remember any issues with ESS and Vista together though. But I'll find out another day.

Cheers

8. larryb52

thanks don't blame you on the setup of vista ;-) & thanks anyway...it runs here on 2 other machines BUT both XP my concern is a being vunerable on skipping of compressed files in vista. This would IMO be a huge problem. I'm surprised people scream about e-mail problems but don't worry if they have a potential trojan while running vista & an a zip file that is not scanned...

9. jmc777

jmc777 Registered Member

10. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

The problem decompressing files to a temp folder occurs if the Users group does not have write permission to the system temp folder. Once you have granted permission, decompressing archives will work like a charm. I'd also suggest checking permission inheriting after clicking the Advanced button and making sure it's disabled for the temp folder.

Attached Files:

11. larryb52

I'll give it a try thanks Marcos!

12. larryb52

btw quick question I am administrator in the vista machine but I still have to mek the correction to get it to scan archives?

13. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

With UAC enabled it's likely. We have found out that if a folder is deleted with UAC disabled and re-created after enabling UAC, it has different permissions assigned which might result in problems like this.

14. larryb52

yep sounds like my problem, I'm anxious to get home to try this, my wife & daughter both love the program but no problems as they run XP pro & I'm the one that bought it & I'm the one with the problem, thanks again Marcos for going the extra mile here & I appreciate your prompt reply...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.