HELP!!! Nothing Works Now!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mars633, Mar 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mars633

mars633 Registered Member

Following Acronis' on-screen instructions I made a bootable copy of my old HD on to a new HD. The slave - master setting is by cable. When I switched the cables the computer will not boot up from the new HD; nor from the old. Help!!! Where do I go from here?

Thanks.

2. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

It would be good to know the version and build of TI that you used, the operating system, and whether you started TI from within Windows or by using the bootable TI cd.

However, I'm guessing that you used the Clone feature. This feature is by no means perfect. Different hardware seems to present problems for it, especially usb and wireless devices. As for the original not booting now, were you careful to NOT select "delete data from original" in the cloning process?

Do you have something like a BartPE cd to boot from to check whether the orginal still has all its files and whether the cloned drive looks like the files were copied to it?

3. mars633

I used TI 7.0. The operating system is XP. I used the feature that would wipe out the original disk because initially I screwed up on a partition (wanted to increase the size of the partition ) on the bootup disk so I tried to clone it on a backup disk and reclone it on to the original with a new partition in place; thus my choice.
    I tried booting from the TI disk but no cigar. What should I do to get the sysem up and see what I not only have on the backup that won't boot but also, reclone the original from the backup?

4. rharris270

rharris270 Registered Member

True Image has several similar, but different options: One makes an image of the the entire hard drive as an ordinary file. That file is not bootable, but can be used to recover to the same hard drive or to migrate to a new hard drive, since it contains the master boot record. Another makes an image of one or more paritions as an ordinary file, but does not include the master boot record. It is also not bootable, and can not be used to migrate to a new hard drive, unless you manually set the MBR. A third option is to "clone" the whole old drive directly to a new hard drive. It includes the MBR That is the option that you should have used.

However, a computer can become confused, if it has two bootable hard drives. This was not a problem under win98, since that operating system had to be on the first partition of the primary (master) hard drive. XP is more flexible, whihc is both good and bad. XP tries to remember disks and partitions, ans having two disk with the same stuff can confuse it.

Try Booting the PC with ONLY the new hard drive connected.

5. mars633

I plugged in just the new drive and it won't boot. It just keeps trying but here is what happens.

A B&W screen pops up with various startup modes being displayed. When I select startup Windows normally I get a windows screen briefly stating a Acronis Auotpart error then it goes to a new screen saying that "CONFIG_LIST_FAILED" and starts to dump memory.
    Also Tech Info gives this...
    Stop:0X00000073 (0X00000001, 0XC000017D, 0X00000002, 0XF7365BB:cool:.

Does that help?

6. niteghost

niteghost Registered Member

I am "confuse" by your Statement here, why iis it "NOT Bootable" if you have Backup the MBR? And what is the difference between Cloning an entire Drive and the statement quoted here? Please elaborate or expound.

7. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

When you clone the drive you end up with a drive that is identical to the original drive. All the files and folders are on the disk and the MBR is in its proper place. If you look at it with Windows Explorer you see all your files and folders.

When you make an image of an entire drive. The files and folders are compressed (usually) and the information is written into a large image file with the extension .tib. There may be more than one .tib file for the image since it is possible to "split" them at a desired size. The MBR is also written into this file. The important thing is that while all of the information from the disk is present it is stored inside the .tib file(s). It is on the backup device and is just like any other file, it can be copied, moved and deleted.

To use an image to make a duplicate HD you must use Acronis to "Restore" the contents of the .tib file(s) onto the new HD.

8. mars633

I am confused also why it is not booting up. In the my previous post I gave what I am getting...Why? I don't know.

9. mars633

Also, I can't get windows to "fully" boot. I get the windows atarting screen but then I get what I previous gaveo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O??

10. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Since it is XP that you are using, you can boot with the XP cd and do a Repair of the OS. When you boot the windows CD, there will be two dialog windows that have Repair as a choice. You want the Repair feature in the second dialog window. Bypass the first - choose what there is other than Repair.

11. mars633

I put the original xp disk in the cd drive but it won't boot from there.

I think what screwed it up is that I went from a 20G parition (all info was here) on an 80G HD to a 20G backup HD.

THANKS SO MUCH TO ALL THE PEOPLE WHO ARE TRYING TO HELP!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.