Help not sure where to post for help

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by mosie, Aug 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mosie

mosie Registered Member

I just downloaded spyware blaster and also use spybot search and destroy.
    After running by default I couldnt get my chosen home page up.I looked thru all the settings and could not find any mention to it.I want to keep out all the crude-trojens-worms or whatever but do want to allow my home page stuff even if it is a tracker.iwon.com is it.Was gonna put it in an allow place but cannot reconize it after runningspybot and/or spywareblaster.
    Can anyone help me with this problem or point me to correct forum to ask Please :rolleyes: ??

2. erikguy

erikguy Registered Member

Two questions: 1) Is it your site? 2) Which exact site is it? Also, neither Spybot's Immunize function nor SWB's protection "block" a site, they just restrict the actions the site can take on your computer such as: run malicious scripts, or install malicious ActiveX controls. Have you tried the site lately? I'm sure the server was just temporarily down. Then again it's been a couple of days since your post so I'm sure it's working for you now. ;)

3. BlackSwan

BlackSwan Registered Member

Maybe you also used the latest version of Ad-Aware?

It is known to flag the iwon domain, and if you use AOL and fix the detected item you are liable to have problems. This has been discussed extensively on the Lavasoft forums.

Now if you are certain the problem is caused by either SpywareBlaster or Spybot, try disabling all protection in SB and undoing the Immunise function in Spybot, and see if you can reach that web page then.

This is the official forum for SB, so you are in the right place. :)

The official Spybot S&D forums are at Net Integration.

BS :)

4. mosie

mosie Registered Member

yes i do have latest ad-aware but havent used it for awhile,yes i know of conflict with ad-aware and spybot too.yes iwon.com gets pegged as a'tracker' in spybot and also ad-aware..I dont use aol(and never would either).lol
    well i have been playing with advanced setting in spybot and also spywareblaster and can still get into my.iwon.com and my msn groups and others i want.everything seems ok and also got rid of some crud too.And I still use immunise too so--so we will see for a few days,thanks for the replys :-*

5. JRosenfeld

JRosenfeld Registered Member

Did you add the Spybot S&D hosts file to yours? If so, it does redirect iwon.com to your PC, so if you try to get to that page, you will get page not found.

You can edit your hosts file in Notepad.

In XP the hosts file is in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC
    it has no extension.

Right click on it, click properties; if the read only attribute is checked, uncheck it, click apply, OK (if not just click cancel). Open the file in Notepad, then Edit menu, Find, type in iwon. You will find entries like ads.iwon.com, I suggest you leave those; click find next until you come to the line

127.0.0.1 iwon.com

Delete that line, making sure you don't leave a blank line.
    Save the file; then set it back to read only if you wish (helps to prevent malware writing in bad redirects).

6. mosie

mosie Registered Member

Not sure what you mean by this= "Did you add the Spybot S&D hosts file to yours?' o_O?

Just to clarify=I want to keep iwon.com as home page and keep my points there.But dont want cookies etc from all there ads etc tho,which i have restrict cookies enabled in browser to just what i want to accept.

so if i do what you explain here in notepad -will do that??sorry I dont understand better :doubt: but love to learn tho :D

7. erikguy

erikguy Registered Member

Well if you're protected with Spybot and SWB you're ok then. As for the hosts... The hosts file is the free built-in ad blocker that some software companies don't want you to know about (for obvious reasons). Basically you can add a line that looks like this...

127.0.0.1 uproar.com OR
    127.0.0.1 ads.uproar.com

This will block all communications between your computer and the named server. Your computer will try to locate the Internet address at "127.0.0.1" which is your computer and since your computer is not an ad server no ad will load from that address. What Rosenfeld is talking about is the feature in Spybot that adds it's hosts file to yours. This hosts file is built by the Spybot team so whether you want to add it is entirely up to you. You should be aware however that the hosts file only works with DNS names and not IP addresses meaning that this following SAMPLE entry will not work...

127.0.0.1 69.85.63.12

Be aware that the Spybot hosts file feature adds some entries like this and that you should manually get rid of them. Also, make sure there is at least ONE space between "127.0.0.1" and the web address you're trying to block.

Cheers,
    Erik

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.